GO!

I am very sick

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sarabi RIP- 5/5/07

Must chew rocks!

Barked: Sat Oct 28, '06 7:58am PST 
For the past few months I have been having diarrhea & vomiting all over the house! I know this sounds gross but the diarrhea is very dark like there might be blood in it. I have been to the vet 5 times and they think I should probably go get a stomach biopsy (but that is 1.5 hours away). I have been on Rx food, but lately I don't even want to eat or drink. The vet made a house call and gave me a huge IV bag of fluids, but said I probably won't be around much longer. My family is very sad but I am getting older and there is not much I can do about it. Have any other doggies had this problem? Do you think it is cancer?
[notify]
Kodi

Kodi- Awesome dog!

Barked: Sat Oct 28, '06 8:03am PST 
Hi Sarabi~ I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Please know that we are thinking of you.~ Kodi, Milligan and Precious Peanut(1991-2004)
[notify]
Vincent

for Rio - CYSTS BE GONE!!

Barked: Sat Oct 28, '06 8:11am PST 
What has your vet tested for? EPI and SIBO are both pretty common in shepherds - here's a link that has explanations of each.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dpaninsf.html

Could also be giardia, but I'm betting that's been tested for - it's common in all breeds so vets think of it.
[notify]

Magnolia,- J.B.O-p.D.M

Stir The Pot to- Prevent- Sticking!

Barked: Sat Oct 28, '06 8:23am PST 
If you've been to the vet 5 times, and they can't diagnose?
Go to another vet.
(what WAS the diagnosis?)
God, I hope you feel better soon.
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Sat Oct 28, '06 8:27am PST 
I'm sorry you are so sick sweets. You are not old.. at 10 years, you are a senior.. but you are still far from old. I agree.. seek out a second opinion. No dog should have to live like that.
[notify]
Popcorn

If it moves, I- will bite it.

Barked: Sat Oct 28, '06 8:36am PST 
I hope you are able to feel better very soon. Please get a 2nd opinion. My beagle cousin Honey had many of the same symptoms that you do. The doctor said it was probably cancer and that we should prepare to say goodbye. The 2nd doctor did an ultrasound and even though it seemed hopeless, scheduled a biopsy and removal of the lump on the spleen. It turns out the lump was a massive hematoma (I think that's how it's spelled.) This was a year ago and Honey is now a-ok and back to normal. A 2nd opinion saved Honey's life. We all want you to get healthy and be pup pals for many more years to come. Mommy and I will "woof" for you everynight.
[notify]
Magnolia,- J.B.O-p.D.M

Stir The Pot to- Prevent- Sticking!

Barked: Sat Oct 28, '06 9:08am PST 
That's a great idea, Popcorn.
an ultrasound would (most likely) be able to tell you if there was a mass or lesion causing this.
And if it is a mass, it doesn't have to be cancer...
[notify]
Sarabi RIP- 5/5/07

Must chew rocks!

Barked: Sat Oct 28, '06 10:01am PST 
I have been tested for all of those things and everything seems normal. I have been on medicine for the diarrhea, for thyroid problems and slippery elm to soothe my tummy. It helps for a little while but comes back again. I also take something for my arthritis in my back legs which has gotten pretty bad.
[notify]
Sarabi RIP- 5/5/07

Must chew rocks!

Barked: Sat Oct 28, '06 10:46am PST 
I am looking into another vet to see if I can get an ultrasound of my tummy. The vet I see now doesn't have an ultrasound machine. I forgot to mention one of my tests says I am not absorbing enough protein. What is that all about?
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Sat Oct 28, '06 10:56am PST 
Sounds like all the more reason to see another vet. A vet should never leave you wondering.. he/she should take time to explain everything to you.. you're losing protein, he/she should explain why. Never be afraid to ask questions. You have every right to know!

Might not be a bad idea to also seek out a vet that knows quite a bit about GSDs and who what when where why of all the crazy things we tend to go through.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3