GO!

Tail Docking and Ear Cropping

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  
Tix

Are you going to- eat that?

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 12:54pm PST 
I was just looking at a web page on dogster, and saw that the dog had died because it contracted Parvo while in the vet's office getting its ears cropped. This practice should be banned everywhere. It is cruel and serves no medical purpose. The poor pup, not even a year old, went in to be mutilated, and wound up dead.
[notify]
Peanut Baby

Getting a- furless sister!

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 1:52pm PST 
I honestly hate the idea of tail docking and ear cropping as well. It's soooo stupid and pointless. Natural beauty for the win! Unfortunately, some people are stupid and just want their dog to look like it's "supposed" to and could care less about the pain.
[notify]
Maxxy

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 2:37pm PST 
Yes! I feel it is pointless too! Ear croping and tail docking. I also feel taking off the dewclaws is in that cadigory. Now I do see that a dog's dewclaws get get caught and ripped off, but then again, it's taking off part of the dog. It's like taking off our thumb! n I disagree with it. Both of my dogs, my Pit Bull and my Shih Tzu both have there dewclaws. Because I didn't think it was nessary to do that to my dogs.
[notify]

Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 4:32pm PST 
I totally agree with you. It is banned in the UK, Australia and much of Europe and Japan I think and lots of other countries too. To still allow it in the US is barbaric. Add to that declawing for kitties too.
[notify]
Tix

Are you going to- eat that?

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 5:11pm PST 
I completly agree with not having dewclaws removed as well(as well as cat declawing)--people have a potential of having their fingernails caught on something and ripped off, but that doesn't mean we have them surgically removed...
[notify]
Parker

Parker - oversized- lap-dog

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 5:19pm PST 
I don't understand the tail docking and ear cropping, thought I've been told that certain dogs with persistent ear infections can sometimes benefit from the ear cropping. Never experienced it first hand though... so I'd leave 'em too... cause they are just so darned cute!

Dewclaw removal, however, I have experience with and witnessed a horrible incident. Glad I had Parker's taken (rear ones) during his neuter. They were very loose and he yelped every time he got on the couch. His feet would slip between the cushions and his rear dewclaws got caught in them. One bled a little once, but almost always it caused him enough pain to yelp!

The incident I winessed was at a local wooded trail where there are always lots of dogs. They were all playing and running, as usual, and then this AWFUL wailing and a poor dog came limping out with a rear leg raised. The dewclaw was ripped, like a banana peel up his leg and BLOOD everywhere! I've seen the dog since and his poor leg is scarred horribly... the recovery was long and painful and required an additional treatment because the rip was so hard to sew properly. Someone there actually saw it happen... his leg slipped in between two exposed roots and his dewclaws were large and loose (no bone). I guess he lost a lot of blood too... just awful.

I heard stories like that before I had Parker's done and could see how it might happen. Knowing that I planned on having Parker outside a lot, I decided to have them removed. I'm glad I did.

The reason I'm writing all of this is because some well-intentioned people told the owner of the dog at the park (Riley) NOT to have them removed... it wasn't necessary, was cruel etc. She felt horrible guilt and a bit of anger because she was even told that these stories about them ripping are unheard of. I think only certain types are recommended for removal... very loose, no bone, ample blood supply etc, but there are definately cases where it is in the best interest of the dog. Parker weight 75 pounds. Those floppy dewclaws would not stand a chance if he would have snagged them in that way.

Hope this helps anyone who is on the fence about it. It's not for every dog, but only the owner can decide if there is enough of an injury risk to justify it. As far as recovery, it was very easy and seemed to cause no discomfort (aside from the bags I had to wrap his feet in for a pee.) I'm gonna post a pic of it on his page.
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 5:22pm PST 
hate to be the one to wreck this but i have to say that i am for tail docking. I disagree COMPLETELY with ear cropping as there is no need for it what-so-ever. but tail docking has its purpose... same with removing dew claws. for a working dog, a working breed to have its tail removed as an adult is much much more painful... especially if it is traumatic. Like, i know a great dane that had to have its tail docked for rakin it on the back of its crate believe it or not... and the dog had an aweful time of it. for an aussie to have its tail crushed by cattle, or something then have it removed would be very very painful. and this is a real threat for a working dog. same with having dew claws removed.... dew claws being ripped off as an adult with full nerve ending in the field. thats why labs, pointers etc have them done as a pup, before the nerve endings are fully developed. I personally think that docking a tail is ok for a working dog, same for dew claws.
[notify]
Kotaro - Gentle Soul in Heaven

Handsome Boy

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 5:33pm PST 
Just another point of view, and I don't mean to argue with or contradict anyone, but...

I was a Beauceron... We are a working breed that originated in France centuries ago. We were used for flock guarding and herding as well as hunting large game such as bear and wild boar. Now we are often used as police dogs, guide dogs and search and rescue dogs since there are no bear left to hunt in France. Thing is is that it is a breed requirement for the dogs to have double dew claws on the hind legs.

Mine were never removed, and we never had a problem. One of these days Mom will post a photo of my weird toes.

Just saying that even for a working dog it isn't always necessary to remove dew claws and is all the more interesting to me that this breed has two on each hindleg in light of the other stories and good reasons to take them.

Edited by author Mon Oct 9, '06 5:43pm PST

[notify]
Fuzzy- Huskies Dog- Team

'09 Jr. Yukon- Quest- Red Lantern!

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 5:53pm PST 
With ear cropping, the floppy eared breeds tend to get infections. A lot of people will have their dog's ears cropped to prevent the dog from getting infection. I also have a friend who crops her cattle dogs' ears so that they don't get them ripped while working (which does happen).

Tail docking is done for the same purpose- prevention of serious injury.

As for those of you who are against dew claw removal, if you've ever seen a dog's dew claw injury, you would be an advocate for it. For my sled dogs, the bootie strap lies directly over the dew claw, and can push it into their leg and cause some nasty puncture wounds. If I go bootieless, some of my weaker footed dogs can get snowballing (causes injury), splits, and more problems. When we get off of groomed trails and are breaking our own, the dogs are very prone to ripping them off in brush or while punching through snow. Dew claw injuries are very painful for the dog and very bloody.
[notify]
Abigail Blue

Please spay &- neuter your pets

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 6:47pm PST 
What concerns me is that Parvo was contracted at the vet's...period. Then that the dog was almost a yr old when it was getting done...or did I misunderstand?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17