GO!

i want something better.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Freedom *ADOPTED*

Heartworm- kills....

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 6:49am PST 
ok i need advice. Freedom is on Science Diet K/D for his kidneys. I know that this stuff is good for him, because its made to be easier on the kidneys... but you and I all know that science diet is full of fillers. So.... my question is this. How would I go about finding another food that is good for him and easy on his kidneys? He cant do raw right now... because I think it would overload him. He is still a little runny in the poo dept, i think mostly because he prob hasnt eaten kibble in a LONG time. I mean I know the vet prescribes the science diet K/D for a reason... but after this bag is gone I would like to put him on something easy on the kidneys but better for him in general. Any ideas? Info?

THANKS!!

Amanda

Edited by moderator Sat Sep 16, '06 10:20am PST

Edited by forums moderator
River

I'm the couch- potato

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 9:53am PST 
My ex-vet put one of our dogs on that food too. I don't think it did a lick of good either. After going to an akc dog show and talking to alot of breeder I decided to try pro plan lamb and rice and now all off my dogs are doing great. You might want to go to the purinsa website and contact their nutrion center for what food they think might help your dog situation the best.
Good luck

Edited by moderator Sat Sep 16, '06 10:18am PST

Edited by forums moderator
King

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 10:43am PST 
I went to google and did some searching and I found this link that might be helpful.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/KnowledgeBase/knowledgebas edetail.aspx?articleid=42

Edited by author Fri Sep 15, '06 10:44am PST

[notify]

Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 10:52am PST 
You might want to ask at the pet store. The people that work there have probably seen a lot of people come in with different concerns and dietary needs and could probably recommend something for you. You could get a list of different options and then research them and decide which would be best for Freedom.

Good luck.. the food thing is a complicated thing to decide on.

XOXOXOXO

Edited by author Sat Sep 16, '06 6:05am PST

[notify]
Freedom *ADOPTED*

Heartworm- kills....

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 10:59am PST 
yeah... food is tuff. Just with him having kidney failure right now, i feel like im stuck. He's on the Science Diet prescription K/D because thats what the vet says he needs, cause its supposed to be easier on his kidneys right now. I was just hoping I could find something just as easy on his kidney's with out all the fillers. thats all.

Science Diet K/D Ingredients:

Brewers Ride, Pork Fat, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soy Fiber, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Citrate, vitamins, Vitamin E suppliment, L-Tryptophan, Magnesium Oxide, Ethoxyquin, and Beta Carotene
[notify]
Mattie

Say no to B.O.!

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 11:05am PST 
Fredom, I've heard this is a pretty good site for kidney info
http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html

If you scroll down to 'introduction' , she talks about alternatives to k/d , I think.
[notify]
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 11:26am PST 
Dogs with kidney problems actually need a good source of high-quality proteins, not little-to-no proteins. The reason why they recommend low protein is because you cannot get high-quality proteins, especially for a dog with kidney problems, in a dry food. Water in the diet is essential for kidney function.

So therefore, raw is actually one of the best things for kidney problems--easy to digest, full of water, very high-quality proteins (by the way, it's a myth that raw is high in protein--it's usually around 18% when you don't take out water). Barring that, I'd go with cooked or canned food, since these both have lots of water as well. Try to go grain-free with these.

I think the links offered here already will back up what I said. I would never feed a kibble of any sort to a dog with kidney problems. They just won't get enough water to keep the kidneys healthy, in my opinion. And the proteins in a food that's as processed as kibble are quite different than those present in raw, or even canned food.
[notify]
Freedom *ADOPTED*

Heartworm- kills....

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 4:30pm PST 
so... he needs more protiens? Ive been giving freedom 4 cups of dry food with 2 cans of wet daily, am & pm. The canned I am giving him is BLUE brand homestyle, chicken dinner and venison dinner. Should I perhaps decrease the amt of dry and increase the amt of canned?
[notify]
Lucy

I'm a- Rottweiler!!!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 7:37pm PST 
Hi,

We all mean well here and you can learn from here but since Freedom has medical issues I suggest you also look beyond this resource for information.

A great compliment to the care Freedom is already under would be a couple of visits to a holistic animal vet. They can help you design a diet that works for Freedom.

Best,
Lucy's Mom
[notify]
♥Maze- l♥

Making the world- a better- place!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 8:10pm PST 
Maybe feed him just a diet of canned food? This worked well with a dalmatian I know with kidney problems. She was on a horrible food (which even though it was 'recommended' by the vet was no good) and after she got switched to a high-quality canned food, even her vet said she was better.
Woof~ Mazel
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3