spay or not to spay?????

Aislynn

Born to herd the- neighbors!!!

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 8:12pm PST 
Recently I had Aislynn spayed. She got a terrible infection ripped out her stitches with her back feet while I was at work (yes she was wearing the elizabethan collar). I had to take her back to the vet several times. She ended up getting staples in he stomache had to wear a t-shirt. I had to keep her on a mild sedative for about 2 weeks and give her lots of antibiotics. Since this was the 1st dog I ever had spayed I asked the vet if this happed alot. HE SAID ABOUT 80% OF THE TIME!!!!!! And I thought it was a rare occurance. I don't think I would have had her spayed if I would have known what percentage of dogs have this problem after a spay. I feel like I put her thru torture!
I talked to different people I know and they told me they had similar problems with their dog. I have had males neutered with no problems.

I was wondering what experiences this group had with spays. This really bothers me that she and other dogs have gone thru such a bad time. I think they should give antibiotics from that time of the spays.
What are you thoughts, feelings and experiences on this subject.
Roxanne

Princess Roxie

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 9:05pm PST 
Well when we had Roxie spayed we had the laser surgery done there was no stitches and it healed actually quite fast and she never touched it at all no need for antibiotics. I dont know do you have the option to laser or surgical ? Because I wasnt given an option. He said it was cleaner and healed up faster so I guess it was a good thing.
Lucy the- Valiant Lady- (CGC)

Lucy Lotsa- Trouble

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 9:38pm PST 
We've always had our females and males spayed/neutered and have never had any problems. I'm always home, so they really didn't have a chance to bother them. Lucy did pull out 1 stitch, but it was from jumping onto the couch and that part was healed enough that it didn't cause a problem. I personally wouldn't have an intact dog until my kids are alot older and I can devote my time to researching and showing.

Nyssa (Nyssa- Lady of the- Lake)

Don't make me- get up

Barked: Wed Sep 13, '06 11:49am PST 
I had my female (Nyssa) spayed, and she didn't scratch or touch her stitches even once. Her stitches were removed by the vet and everything healed up just fine. She didn't even need to wear the Elizabethian collar. We had no problems with her spay at all. I hope your baby girl is now OK. smile
Aislynn

Born to herd the- neighbors!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 9:20am PST 
Thanks to everyone for you responses! They have given me new hope on the subject of spaying. I am so glad everyone did not have the night mare we had with poor little Aislynn. But she is doing great now!
Thanks Again!!!
I hope we will get even more responses! This group seems like we are really going to be able each other when we have problems or questions.