GO!

For Owners of Pit Bulls

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Max

Leisure Dog- Extraordinare!

Barked: Mon Jul 31, '06 4:00pm PST 
I was just curious - are there any Pit Bull owners out there who have owned a Pit Bull from puppyhood to old age (or until they went to the Rainbow Bridge)?

If so, how long did he or she live? Did he or she ever bite anyone during that time, or ever cause serious damage to another animal?

The reason I ask is that we hear a lot of negative press about the breed, and I have had some really negative experiences with some (in a shelter environment) myself. So I thought I'd get some, hopefully positive, input from anyone who's owned a Pit for its entire life.

And I'm not looking for those who have owned a Pit for a few years - I'm talking about a normal, doggy lifetime here.
[notify]
Lucky ~In- Loving- Memory~

What's going- on????

Barked: Mon Jul 31, '06 4:51pm PST 
I've never owned a pit or bully breed, but I do know that the dogs that account for a vast majority of dog bites are UNNEUTERED males. Followed by females with pups, followed by all other dogs. I think if more people neutered their dogs, and spent some time socializing and training them as oung pups, then we wouldn't have nearly the dog bites that we do.
[notify]
Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Mon Jul 31, '06 5:07pm PST 
I do not own one but some people I know did from puppyhood to Rainbow Bridge. Like any dog...they are what you put into them. They are very social dogs who love just as much as any other "breed". Please don't believe all the fear mongering you hear. Most people have no clue when it comes to bully breeds or rotts. They only hear and believe what the media and bully haters say. Not from actual facts. If you really want to know what they are like...try to meet some in your neighbourhood. You can tell by it's owner what type of personality the dog has just by how they treat the dog. Remember...as with ANY dog ...ALWAYS ask first if you can meet the dog. First when my mommy got me...I wasn't trained and was alittle stranger fear aggressive. My mommy was still training me and someone just came up and tries to pet me. My mommy caught the person in time and explained where and how she got me. My mommy wasn't sure if I would have bitten at that time. So just because a dog is an adult, don't assume it's trained yet. It could be a new dog to this owner and they are training. I hope this helps.
[notify]

Sugar (Passed 8-8-13)

~I'm a brat,- yup~

Barked: Mon Jul 31, '06 8:41pm PST 
I've had one until age of 9. Never bit, always kissy-face. Precious is 6 or 7 now, not sure because she was someone else's dog before. I've had her since she was 2. They are great pets, providing they have been trained some. I've got 3 girls, all living indoors & they get along just fine. Never had any of them bite or attack. I train this breed as well, and they are very loyal dogs. Not good for all, but for the ones who know how to handle them. Depends on how they were raised & type of environment. Sugar is 1yr.-1mo. & I adopted her from a kill shelter at 4mos. of age. She's doing well with training & very smart, doesn't miss a thing. People are the cause of their dogs actions & if they are allowed, they will bite. Not all Pits are aggressive or show signs. Hope this helps some. Any more in detail questions, just ask away. Missy
[notify]
Edge Lee

You are on MY- part of the- couch ....move

Barked: Mon Jul 31, '06 10:16pm PST 
I have 2 (4 dogs total) they have not bitten anyone my 7 year old uses then as pillows. They are well socialized which is the key to any mentslly healthy dog from toy to giant. I am constantly doing public awarness with my husband who is a cop about pit bulls and bully breeds.
[notify]
Scooby, CGN

Barked: Mon Jul 31, '06 10:30pm PST 
I'm a pound pup....so far to my Mom's knowledge, I haven't bitten anybody and she had me for 2 years. I'm 3 now. Apparently, we live to be about 15 yrs old, and have this puppy mentality until we are about 4 or 5 yrs old. We are active dog....a happy pitty is a tired pitty. As for our teeth, when playing with us, it might be a good idea to give your pup something to hold in his/her mouth like a kong....saves your fingers!
Oh, just so you know, most of us are very good with children. I personaly have had a 11 yr old, 2 10 yr olds, 2 9yr olds, a 6yr old, a 4 yr old, a 3yr old, a 1 yr old and a newborn in my house and it was AWESOME!!!! Especially the wee little ones...love those guys!
[notify]
Ziero - CGC, Rest in- peace 11/

I'm smarter than- your Honor- Student!

Barked: Tue Aug 1, '06 10:32am PST 
I have been with my Dad since i was 8 weeks old, & I just turned 11 last month!

I have bitten Dad's room mate a couple of times, but it was on accident when we were playing.

The only serious danage I have ever done to another dog was when I broke Dusty's Canine tooth when we were playing.

Edited by author Tue Aug 1, '06 10:35am PST

[notify]
Dusty Dawg- 12/28/98-01/- 09/13

Yeah for- Summer!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 1, '06 10:33am PST 
I too have been with Dad since I was 8 weeks old, I will be 9 in December!

I haven't bitten anyone, but did bite Ziero once in the thigh.. does that count? No serious danage though, just a puncture hole & that's it.

Edited by author Tue Aug 1, '06 10:37am PST

[notify]
Max

Leisure Dog- Extraordinare!

Barked: Tue Aug 1, '06 12:19pm PST 
Thanks for your help, guys. The shelter that I volunteer for has instituted some positive new training for placing Pit Bulls in new homes. They're trying to place these guys into the best possible homes for them, which is a good thing. I am still a little gunshy after some of my experiences with them, but each dog is an individual with its own personality.
[notify]
Drake

What dont kill- you only makes- you strong

Barked: Tue Aug 1, '06 1:12pm PST 
My two r not pure pitbull drake is pretty close tho he looks like some one streched a pitbul then chopped its legs off BOl they have never bitten any one unlees yer a squirell yer safe I worked in a boarding kennel for almost five years never had a pitbull problem been attacked by many a chow tho Ive met a few good chows tho any breed can be bad its all in the traing and sozilation
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3