GO!

Royal Canin

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Cooper

be the person- your dog thinks- you are

Barked: Sat Apr 29, '06 6:48pm PST 
How do you figure out their food? Some breeds are singled out but what if you aren't that breed.....do you pick one close to it?
What about mixed breeds?
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Sat Apr 29, '06 6:56pm PST 
I think they have general ones too based on size. Like Large Breed Adult, Medium Adult, Mini Adult, etc. Or you could choose based on a similar breed, I guess.
[notify]
Wolfie

Wolf-man

Barked: Sat Apr 29, '06 7:08pm PST 
That's true...they have a general small, medium or large breed formulas, but if your dog is similar to one of those breeds you can use them. They just try to target the problems specific to those breeds.
[notify]

Toby

Smarter than- your honor- student ;)

Barked: Sun Apr 30, '06 10:31am PST 
Yes what Brodie and Wolfie said... Also, if you have a dog who is has a sensitive stomach or a fussy eater...Toby is on mini special which is good for dogs who are 20 pounds or less...if you have a larger dog they also have the same thing but for larger breeds...This food has worked wonders for Toby.. Good Luck!
[notify]
Due's- Gunnery- Sergeant- "Gunny"

"Just sniff it!"

Barked: Sun Apr 30, '06 2:44pm PST 
Please do not feed this brand. There are so many dogs, including Ruger, that have gotten VERY sick from eatting it.

Gunny
[notify]
Wolfie

Wolf-man

Barked: Sun Apr 30, '06 2:56pm PST 
How did they get sick and why?
[notify]
Due's Frau- Ruger von- Gunny

"So many bones,- so little time"

Barked: Sun Apr 30, '06 4:51pm PST 
Mom fed us Innova for since whenever it seems. Then Royal Canin came out with Dachshund 28 breed specific. Mom decided to give it a try. Within 2 days of doing a switch over, I became deathly ill and broke out in a rash. Mom had the Vet run several tests and determined it was the dog food that had sent my immune system into a tail spin. Now I have a sensitive stomach and am allergic to be outside. Since then mom found that many many other dogs have had problems with Royal Canin. So much so that the local dog food store quit selling it here as well as our Vet.

With so many other wonderful foods out there, why risk it? Just my opinion.

Ruger
[notify]
Wolfie

Wolf-man

Barked: Sun Apr 30, '06 5:00pm PST 
I understand your concern, and I am sorry for your experience. I wonder why that happened because there are lots of people who feed it and have no problems. I am still going to try it, but I will have that in the back of my mind. Did your vet determine if your dog may have had allergies prior? If so, to what?
Also, how long ago was that? (I'm curious because I'm going to contact RC about it)

Edited by author Sun Apr 30, '06 5:00pm PST

[notify]
Due's Frau- Ruger von- Gunny

"So many bones,- so little time"

Barked: Sun Apr 30, '06 5:04pm PST 
I had no allergies prior to that. This was last May. I was very healthy until then. Like Mom tells people..."I dont tell people what to feed and what not to feed. I just tell my experiances and let them be their own judge"

Ruger
[notify]
Toby

Smarter than- your honor- student ;)

Barked: Sun Apr 30, '06 5:19pm PST 
I'm sorry to hear that Ruger but every dog is DIFFERENT, and every dog reacts differently to foods. Doesnt mean the food in general is bad, just means your dogs system doesnt accept that food...Tobys been on it for a little more than 2 weeks now and has had no problem with it, hes actually been a lot more active and alert eating it. So I am quite happy, Although this food isn't for everyone, its definitely worth a try! Thanks for sharing your story.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3