GO!

Bathing a lab mix and a husky

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Aurora- Borealis

Fluffy leader

Barked: Thu Apr 20, '06 7:26pm PST 
Hey,

I got a lab mix and a sib. husky. How often are they supposed to be bathed?

Barks,
Aurora
[notify]
Hunnie Girl

Mommy's Princess

Barked: Thu Apr 20, '06 7:55pm PST 
As often as you want? I know that labs are water dogs.. most of them love the water. Plus, since both dogs are double coat dogs (meaning they have the two layers) it is a nice way of cooling down. Give a bath and then brush while the fur is still damp. Brush forwards, not backwards, so that you get ALL the loose fur. smile

~*~ Hunnie Girl's Mom ~*~
[notify]
Aurora- Borealis

Fluffy leader

Barked: Thu Apr 20, '06 8:04pm PST 
Alright! Thanks. I just was making sure because I know with some dogs like Kuvazs you aren't supposed to bath that often.
[notify]

Hunnie Girl

Mommy's Princess

Barked: Thu Apr 20, '06 8:33pm PST 
Just make sure that their skin doesn't dry out. That's no fun. See if your local pet store has a dog shampoo to keep their skin from getting too dry, if you plan to shampoo every time you bathe. smile We don't shampoo every time. Sometimes we just get HG wet to cool her down, and to brush her to get the loose hair (it's better to brush the coat while it's wet, not dry). This basically cleans her if she hasn't gotten dirty from digging. LOL
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 20, '06 10:28pm PST 
When they're dirty. Make sure you don't strip away the natural oils that keep their coats healthy.
[notify]
Shikkan

Warning: Beware- of... Dog? Wolf?

Barked: Fri Apr 21, '06 4:39pm PST 
Yeah, Shukkan and I get bathed whenever we're dirty or start to smell. Just make sure you get the right shampoo for your dog- Sinead and Cae (Shuke and my's pets) got us the wrong kind and we were itchy for days! Blech...an itchy and irritable wolf hybrid's no fun at all! So just check a few things before you bathe and like mentioned before, don't strip the natural oils.
[notify]
Odin

I'm top dog- here!

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 4:40pm PST 
Huskies only really need to be bathed twice a year (spring, fall) You can clean them anytime their filthy or stinky or when you see fit but if your husky is anything like mine he will not enjoy frequent baths. What we do is just wait for their fur to dry up and brush the dirt out, most of the time they clean themselves if you leave them "out to dry" lol
[notify]
Aurora- Borealis

Fluffy leader

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 7:50pm PST 
Yeup Aurora haaaaaaaaates baths. That's normally what I do with her 'cause it's to much of a hassel to do anything more, just when she's stinky that is.

Thanks!
[notify]
Kiba

Yes, I can see- out of my blue- eye

Barked: Mon Apr 24, '06 1:08pm PST 
Shikkan,

Is there a shampoo you recommend?

My family bathes me about every 2 - 4 weeks depending on how dirty I am. I don't have any problems with dry skin, but I am pretty itchy. Maybe you can suggest something?

-Kiba
[notify]