GO!

ANYONE ELSE EVER KEEP A DOG THEY FOUND?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Hope

SWEET FACE

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '06 9:50pm PST 
I was just wondering if anyone else on here was found by their owner and kept. That's how Sadie and I got our home! Mom just couldn't let us go.
[notify]
Amber

DIET, WHY A- DIET!!!!!!

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '06 10:03pm PST 
I showed up at Mom's door dirty very underweight and abused. That was 5 years ago. I was afraid of men, and could not get enough to drink or eat. Mom took me in fed me and took me to the vet who said on a scale of 1 to 5 I was a 2 as far as weight and I showed signs of being abused. I dont' know how I wound up at my Mom's house but I sure was glad I did, I was welcomed by my 2 brothers and my 2 kittie brothers and sister. I had to put on weight before I could be sprayed that was about 3 weeks of good meals. And it was just in time too, I went into heat 2 days before Iwas to be spayed.

I feel very lucky to have a forever home where I'm loved and well taken care of. In fact the vet has put me on a diet and said Mom just kinda went overboard being kind and feeling sorry for me. It took me a very long time to trust men, but now I really love my Dad and human brother. (But I still hate the mailman)
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '06 11:42pm PST 
Yep!

Kaiser was abandoned along with his mother and siblings about a mile or so down the road from my parent's place in late October 2003. Everyone was adopted out, but Kaiser stayed. I thank God everyday for him. My life has never been the same and I know no greater love than for my son. It was a sad situation, but from that came such joy. They couldn't have been more than 6-8 weeks old at the time, skinny and dehydrated and crawling with fleas. But they were so sweet and affectionate and HAPPY despite their situation.

Duke showed up at my parent's cottage on July 19, 2005. He was scared of us at first, but once we gave him some food, he was our new best friend. He was a mess. Dirty and flea covered and skinny as broom. AND OBVIOUSLY ABUSED!!! My dad looked for his owners, but no one knew who he was or where he came from. I was actually happy because I don't think I would have wanted to give him back to people that obviously didn't care for him. We thought he was old, but the vet said he was only 2 or 3. We weren't going to keep him originally because we already had so many dogs, but he stole our hearts and became a member of the family. Now I can't imagine him not being around.

See my parents live out in the sticks and if you find a stray, 9/10 times, it was dumped off. The Animal Control Officer said he is constantly amazed how many dogs he finds on our road.

Well Duke has the life that other dogs can only dream of. Whatever his past was, his future is the complete opposite. We are going to spend the rest of his life making the first 2-3 years up to him.
[notify]

Eli

born to play- ball!

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '06 1:26am PST 
I like to think that God leads them to where they should be, the person or persons who will love & cherish them! Bless the hearts of those who don't always make it to where they are loved.
[notify]
Poncho

Weapon of Mass- Distraction

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '06 5:20am PST 
I was just curious if those of you who have kept the dogs you found looked for their previous owners first?
[notify]

The Mister

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '06 9:03am PST 
Like I said, my dad went looking for Duke's owner. He must have done a good 10 mile radius of the cottage.. going door to door. We also kept a lookout for posters or ads in the paper... nothing.

Kaiser's family was a given. You see where my parent's live, dogs.. especially a mother with a litter of pups don't just show up. They have to be put there. It's quite isolated with the exception of a few scattered farms. I'm guessing the people that drop them off hope that they will just make their way to one of those places.
[notify]
Molly (In- Loving- Memory)

Born to play- ball/ God love- Molly

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '06 9:09am PST 
Hope, yes my Mom found me at a small island when boating. I was about 5 or 6 weeks old. Guess the boys were going to leave me there. No, they did not try to find out the owners who just let me get picked up by a bunch of boys on a boat-they said, We think she is a doll! Thank God I got a good home. Glad you did too.
[notify]
Amber

DIET, WHY A- DIET!!!!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '06 9:12am PST 
I didn't after seeing Ambers condition and the opinion of my vet. I felt that the orginial owner didn't want her. She may have been dumped off. I have found several others who I had tried to find the owers and I had success, by going through Lost Dog Registary, and all have been returned to the owners. Amber needed me and I was not going to let her suffer anymore than she already had.
[notify]
Jenkins

Jenkins - Nature's Muppet

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '06 3:06pm PST 
My husband found Jenkins in the road about to be hit by a car and brought him home. We posted Found Dog signs and eventually the owners called but the second I heard "hang on....should I ask if they want him?" I knew we wouldn't be giving him back. They were well intentioned people (they took him from a friend desperate to find a home for him) but weren't taking proper care of him. Plus, if they were just willing to allow completely random people they have never met just keep their dog I didn't trust them to find the best home (even though it turns out they did leave him to loving parents, us!)

If I were to find a dog in Amber's condition I would NOT look for the owners either!! In fact, had we known Jenkins had tapeworms and development problems from living on a lead, we probably wouldn't have bothered finding the owners. Now I'm very relieved they were willing to let him go so easily.
[notify]

The Mister

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '06 4:11pm PST 
Exactly! I don't think I would have wanted to give Duke back to his owners either. If you saw the condition he came to us in, you wouldn't either. He looked like he was 10 years old... hard time.

Even if his owners were to show up one day and somehow prove he was their dog... I don't think we would be in a big hurry to give him back. Since we have had him, we've had him neutered, vaccinated, dewormed, defleaed (is that a word) not to mention fed him, cared for him, loved him.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6