GO!

Do your dogs do this???

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tessa

Everything is- okay when I'm- loved.

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '06 8:53am PST 
This is more of behavior question than health but here goes. My dog Tessa loves to lick the inside of Tilly's mouth. When Tilly is sleepy, Tessa will lay down next to her and lick her teeth and gums and she's pretty pushy about it. Tilly doesn't seem to mind but it is the worst sound to hear in the middle of the night when I'm trying to sleep. Do any of your dogs do this? Tessa is definitely more assertive about being top dog than Tilly so I'm wondering if that is part of it. I've never had two young dogs this close in age before so maybe it's just a normal bonding behavior. Let me know what you think.
[notify]
Brandy

Gus did it.

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '06 9:02am PST 
Not exactly the same but..........
Brandy is definatly the submissive in our house. She will sometimes lick Gus's mouth but not very often. We usualy find Gus (the alpha) licking/cleaning Brandy's ears. She has a total look of heaven on her face. They are also close in age. I think it's just pack behavior but don't know for sure.
[notify]
Farrah- ♥12/9- 7-3/06

I love Bosco,- Jack & GR

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '06 9:34am PST 
I've noticed that Gypsy Road does that to Farrah. He'll lick her teeth and clean her ears as well. She doesn't seem to mind it, but she doesn't do it back to him, but she WILL try and clean the rest of him. Those two are years apart! LOL She's eight and he's going to be 7 months, in a few days. So, it may just be pack behavior, but then again, Gypsy Road tries to lick me as I'm getting dressed! LMAO

Farrah's Mom
[notify]

Rusty

Shed Monster

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '06 2:22pm PST 
It's a submissive behavior, and you'll see it more commonly in dogs that were separated from their mothers and siblings at a very early age. Wild dogs and wolves regurgitate food for their young so it's in the genes to think "maybe there's some supper in there somewhere" as well.
[notify]
Tessa

Everything is- okay when I'm- loved.

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '06 5:13pm PST 
Well, Tessie doesn't really fit in with the submissive behavior theory. Of our three dogs, Tess is the least submissive with other dogs and she was with her litter until she was 5 months old. But, I've seen my oldest dog, Tana, do it to a lesser degree many times to dogs older and bigger than her. With Tessa, it's like she can't get close enough to her big sister. Maybe she is just confused about her position in our little pack.
[notify]
♱- Cheyenne- ♱

Life is Good!

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 7:19am PST 
I"m not a submissive dog and neither was my mom's alaskan malamute she had before me, but both of us love(d) to lick her st bernard's teeth and gums (even with all the slobber). The malamute did it his entire life and he never showed any signs of submissive behavior. The two other puppies that now live with the st. bernard also do it, but that could be because he's an old dog and we're all youngsters (none of us, including the malamute, were separated before 8 weeks from our mothers).
[notify]
Cashew

Yep, I'm a nut- !!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 5:18pm PST 
Cashew likes to lick Blackies mouth .... mainly after he gets a big slobbery drink of water. She has also tried to lick his ears but his ears are so big and floppy, she cant get in 'em very well. They are only a few mos apart. Cashew was with her parents & litter till about 7weeks. Blackie was taken from his mom very early due to a parvo scare (which turned out NOT to be parvo). Blackie is the submissive one, and Cashew, somewhat submissive. Blackie likes to lick her unmentionables. Which worries me LOL , but she isnt close to that age. I really think he's trying to clean her. I do make him stop. I think Cashew licking his mouth is cute. She also does this pawing on him and chewing/sucking on him like she is trying to nurse off of him. She does this on his back, his hip, his belly but only when she is tired and falling asleep. I heard somewhere that it is a submissive trait of massaging each other (or atleast her massaging him). Dogs do the darndest things =)
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 5:35pm PST 
LOL!!! Kaiser licks everyone's unmentionables too (except Rosie... no way Jose!)! Ruby the little tart actually invites it. My sister is like "RUBY!!!!!" We call it the binky invitation.

Kaiser loves to kiss Duke (no dogster profile yet, have to scan some pics!). Duke doesn't seem to mind. Kaiser is submissive to him... but I think he just loves him so much!
[notify]
Spot

Bigger IS- better!

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '06 9:58pm PST 
This classified as a submission behavior. The dog who is lower on the totem pole, so to speak, will lick the inside of the other's mouth, jaw, lips, or roll over on their back to show their respect. It is kind of the same thing as people saying "Yes Ma'am," or "Yes Sir," to our elders. I've never seen Spot do this, or anyone do it to Spot. He is kind of the middle dog, plus the only dog.
[notify]
Tikeya

Tikeya - "Dont eat yellow- snow."

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '06 12:11am PST 
My Great Dane CONSTANTLY licks inside my Siberian Huskies mouth.. I think it is a dominance thing.. So maybe your doggie feels she needs to suck up *no pun intended* wink.
I've seen wolves do this on T.V before too.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2