GO!

Dangerous Doggy Treat

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Petey

Dum-Dum-Dum

Barked: Thu Jan 19, '06 11:06pm PST 
I read in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal, an article taken from the Baltimore Sun about the dangerous dog chew, "GREENIES". Here is the address to the article as published in the Sun. Please read if you have given these chews to your dogs or if you know someone who does! It could save lives!!!!!!
http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bal-te.bz.greenies 15jan15,1,45023.story?ctrack=1&cset=true
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '06 2:30am PST 
Woofs up Petey!~ Yah, Mommy has read numerous articles about Greenies and how there have been cases where dogs have died from ingesting it.

Before I came to my new home with Mommy & Daddy, Mommy had already said that Greenies were a no-no. Mommy just wants to be on the safe side. That's ok though, I get lots of other chewie treats instead. I like bully sticks and Beef Chews. Nylabones are okay...but not as tasty.

But to stear in the direction of being "over-protective", Mommy is not letting me near Greenies.....
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '06 2:33am PST 
Petey, the link you provided no longer exists. I think they must have taken the article down.....

Here are some other links regarding dogs that have died from ingesting Greenies:

http://quikonnex.com/channel/item/15842

http://www.n extdaypets.com/directory/dogs/forum/3465.aspx

http://quikonnex.co m/channel/item/16161

http://doodie-free.com/index/greenies_alert

Its scary how many dogs have died from eating Greenies.....
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '06 2:36am PST 
I found another article about these dangerous greenies...

"It is the nation's top-selling dog treat, with $315 million in domestic retail sales last year.

It is so beloved by dogs that amused owners have a nickname for it - doggie crack.

And it is the reason, contend Michael Eastwood and Jennifer Reiff of Manhattan, that their miniature dachshund, Burt, is no longer alive.

On July 22, as she'd done regularly for the past year and a half, Reiff gave the 4-year-old rescue dog his Greenies treat. The next day, Burt was on an operating table, where vets removed three feet of necrotic intestine and what looked like a soft foamy green mass.

Two days later, Burt was dead.

The couple says S&M NuTec of North Kansas City, Mo., the manufacturer of Greenies, sent an e-mail expressing sadness for their loss, and offered to pay the almost $6,600 in medical bills as well as $2,000, the estimated purchase price for a mini-dachsie like Burt. In return, Eastwood and Reiff would have to sign a confidentiality agreement and agree not to pursue legal action.

"That incensed us even more," says Eastwood, who along with Reiff has filed a

$5 million lawsuit, charging that Greenies are "unsafe, inadequately labeled" and ultimately caused Burt's death.

Invented by a couple plagued by their dog's chronic bad breath, toothbrush-shaped Greenies are marketed as "multifunctional dental treats" that, when used daily, reduce tartar by 62 percent and gingivitis by 33 percent. The company stresses that owners feed the correct size Greenies for their dog's weight and follow the feeding guidelines, which say the treats should not be fed to dogs who "gulp."

(For toy breeds, young puppies and the chew-averse, the company developed Greenies Lil' Bits. It also recently unveiled Feline Greenies for cats.)

Eastwood counters that Burt did not choke on his Greenie and was always supervised when consuming the treat. "The Greenie was a foreign object in his intestines."

S&M NuTec declined to comment on the litigation but disputes there is any problem with the treat's digestibility.

"The digestibility testing that we have with Greenies shows them to be more digestible than the average dry dog food when adequately chewed ... " reads the company's e-mailed statement. "If a dog swallows a large piece of Greenies, or a whole treat, the digestion process will be extended because of the decrease of treat surface area to digestive liquids and stomach action."

Veterinarian Brendan McKiernan of Wheat Ridge, Colo., a board-certified internist, disagrees. "They don't dissolve in the stomach," he says. "When we take them out, they're not digested. And they are causing both esophageal and intestinal problems in dogs to an extent that is concerning."

S&M NuTec says Greenies obstructions are "rare," with most caused by improperly following feeding instructions.

But McKiernan believes incidents are underreported. Earlier this year, at a meeting of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, a group of gastroenterologists discussed obstructions caused by "compressed vegetable chew treats" such as Greenies. By an informal show of hands, he says, "a significant number said, 'Hey, we have problems.'"

Concerned about such cases in his own practice, McKiernan set out to study reports of obstructions from 1999 to 2004 in the Veterinary Medical Database, which records cases from two dozen vet schools.

The results, outlined in a multi-authored article soon to be submitted to the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, found that, after bones and fish hooks, compressed vegetable chew treats were the third-most-common culprit in obstructions.

McKiernan notes that the cases mostly involved small dogs.

But big dogs have their issues with compressed vegetable chew treats, too. Elaine Gewirtz of Westlake Village, Calif., says she fed Greenies to her Dalmatians and "never had problems" - until Jimmy went to live with her daughter and started getting more than his usual ration.

The 5-year-old Dal had three bouts of unexplained vomiting. As Gerwirtz walked him outside the vet's office that last time, "he vomited, and there was all this green stuff.

"I really think it's hit or miss," Gerwirtz says, noting that voracious chewers like Jimmy may be prone to problems. Still, she no longer gives her dogs Greenies.

It's a decision that Eastwood wishes he had been given the opportunity to make.

"We always felt if this product had fair warning and fair labeling," he concludes, "we would never have put our dog in harm's way."

WRITE TO Denise Flaim, c/o Newsday, 235 Pinelawn Rd., Melville, NY 11747-4250, or e-mail denise.flaim@newsday.com . For previous columns, www.newsday.com/animalhouse "

From: http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-lspets4557714dec19,0,4163123.column ?track=mostemailedlink
[notify]
Bailey

I love- everyone:)

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '06 6:54am PST 
I give my puppy nylabone nutridents which look similar to greenies and I was wondering if anyone has heard if they can cause similar problems???? Bailey loves these but I don't want to give them to her if it can cause her problems!!!
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '06 7:24am PST 
If you use the quick search box at the top of the forum, you can find a lot of threads about greenies. *pokes nose toward the top of the screen*

You'll even find the "Burt" mentioned in the article. He's on Dogster. Very sad story.

Smoke, doesn't get greenies any more
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '06 10:04am PST 
Hi Bailey!! My mommy asked my vet about Nylabones on our last visit. He said those are fine. But i'm not sure if we are talking about the same Nylabones.... Because u said Nylabones Nutirents? The ones I'm talking about are somewhat "clear" in appearance and smooth. They usually come in light yellow and a clear yellow.

Is that what you are talking about?
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '06 11:58am PST 
Hi Toby!

Nope I know what you are talking about, I love the regular Nylabones as well, my favorite is Bacon flavored . But I am talking about Nutri dents they are made by Nylabone, this is what they look like:
http://tinyurl.com/8rykj

Very simialar to Greenies, just wondering if they really ARE the same or if they just look similar.
[notify]
Quinn AKA The Love Bomb

The Evil- Count- Crapula

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '06 1:23pm PST 
Greenies and other Greenies-like chews are ALL THE SAME. They are made with the same stuff and in the same way. You should NOT give any of them to puppies, very small dogs, or "gulpers". If you are uncomfortable or have questions the best answer is always going to be no. We get greenies on occasion, but both me and big butt Brandy are big enough and old enough to handle them and as with ANY treat, we are ALWAYS supervised. Be careful out there guys!!
**We do wonder though, at the number of posts we have read on all the threads about the evils of Greenies made by people who STILL give their dogs rawhide, which, in our opinion (and lots of other people's-- vets even) is a LOT more dangerous than Greenies.
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '06 1:55pm PST 
Quinn - Thanks for the advice.

We definitely steer clear of rawhide as soon as we told people we were getting a dog it was the first thing everyone told us, to stay away from rawhide.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2