GO!

Backpacking!

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '05 1:54pm PST 
Hi dogs, this seems like a great place to discuss one of my favorite things to do (and it seems like a sport to me), backpacking!

I have my own backpack, the Granite Gear Ruff Rider. I'm very very happy with this pack, and we did lots of research before getting it! My two favorite packs were this one and the Wolfpacks line, but they had the Granite Gear one in stock at a local store so I could try it on (I'm a hard to fit doggie), and it's a good thing they did because I needed the size small!

We haven't gone backpacking very much, just twice actually (and I almost died the first time!), but I can't wait to go again! I get very very excited whenever the pack comes out (mom has me wear it every so often so she doesn't have to get me used to carrying weight in it again next time we go backpacking).

I now have a super cool backpacking leash made just for me with all kinds of safety features that I can't wait to try out! And I also have new booties that stay on my feet really well, too. I'm ready to go!

Any other doggies out there have any cool backpacking gear they want to talk about? Or any other backpacking/camping things to share?
[notify]
Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '05 3:59pm PST 
I've used a Kelty Chuck Wagon dog pack...you can see it in my pic. smile Mostly I just carry water for myself when we're hiking, but mom and dad are starting to think of taking us backpacking...if they can fit us all in a tent!
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '05 10:14am PST 
No other doggies are interested in backpacking?

I love the tent. The first time I got in, though, my parents put the tent up in the living room. I got in the tent and promptly tried to walk out of the screen window! They had to teach me that I could only go in and out the door.

Funily enough, when we were being attacked by racoons outside our tent last time we went camping, even though the racoons were at the rear of the tent I was guarding the door! Mom and dad thought it was silly, but I know that since the only place mom, dad and I can enter is the door, that is the only place the racoons can enter, too!
[notify]

Bailey

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '05 2:11pm PST 
Mom wants to take Buzz and I backpacking but she can't find anywhere near her that sells packs. She doesn't want to order the wrong size or the wrong style. Hopefully she'll get us some packs soon. Right now SHE carries all our stuff! And believe me, we have a LOT! When we go for walks in the park we take along the long line, the two flexi leads, our harnesses (which is the only thing the flexi's are allowed to be attached to) our collars, water, toys, and bowls, and TREATS!

Hehe, I bet people laugh at mom!

Bailey
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '05 2:35pm PST 
I think that Wolfpacks will take back any pack that doesn't fit, but you should check their site first.

The Granite Gear pack runs big. Sabrina who is 50 lbs takes a size small, though she could take a medium in a pinch. The Kelty Chuckwagon pack that Katee uses didn't work for Sabrina because she has no neck and the v-shaped neck strap didn't fit correctly. I'm sure most of those places will take returns if you get the wrong size.

REI will allow doggies into their stores, just to test the backpacks. They sell the Granite Gear pack and also the Kelty Chuckwagon one. There seem to be lots of REIs around, maybe there is one near you?

Good luck! It's so nice to have the pups carry some of their own gear!
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Fri Dec 16, '05 1:17pm PST 
Good to know, thanks!

Mom is getting NEW ski boots for her x country ski's and we're gonna go SKIJORING when she comes home! I'm SO EXCITED and we take Buzz too so he can run along but I do all the pulling! YAY! Mom is making a new belt for herself before we can go but I'm all set and so is Buzz!
[notify]
Morgan Anna- Maria- Bridge Ange

Have tiara, will- party!

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '05 9:13am PST 
I love to backpack- when I can talk the Biped into going with me. My pack is much lighter than hers, she reminds me. I have been drooling over the granite gear stuff- Mom says it's way too expensive for no more than we go. I have an Outward Hound pack in large that seems to work for me at this point- I love to see it, and I'm fine once it's on my back, but I hate it when Mom's putting it on me BOL. I carry the first aid stuff, my bowls and food, an extra leash, collar and knife, and some other oddities. I have heard of other dogs who get even backpacking titles- I think Dog Scouts does that program or at least that is one program. There are rules re. what you carry, how many miles you cover and such to get it. The things I carry are mostly based on their list because Mom is thinking of enrolling me in that program. You might think of trying it, if you wanted a new challenge.
Morg
[notify]
Tatum

Take me to the- river...

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '05 6:50pm PST 
Hey, I've got a backpack! I have the Ruff Wear Palisades Pack II! It's really cool. On either side it has a built in hydration bladder (like a camelbak) to fill with water. I can even fill it from a filter on the trail. Another cool feature is that the strapping system on the pack is actually a neoprene-like harness (with 2 different leash attachment spots...one for regular and one to harness their energy if they're a puller; i use Tatum's when she and I go skateboarding.)You velcro the pack onto the harness and then it's easy to take off for breaks or stream crossings or whatever. She is a large 60 lb aussie and took a medium. For sizing information, or a video showing the features go to www.ruffwear.com They have tons of other cool stuff too. The Palisades Pack seems a little pricey, but I got mine on a fluke from altrec.com for $29.95 (as compared to $85 retail).
[notify]
Socrates

Wisdom doesn't- have to be- advertized!

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '05 12:38pm PST 
Wow, I haven't got a pack, but my family and I go hiking and camping. Yep, I've got my own gear too. I have my own pup tent and play-pen for when mommy wants me to be corralled for awhile. I sleep in a tent just like the rest of the family and I have my own sleeping bag with waterproof outside and sherpa inside. My mommy made my sleeping bag because she wouldn't pay a high price for something small enough to fit me!
Bella hasn't gone camping or hiking yet, she is in for such a treat! She loves walks and running and sniffing all the plants and grass. Mommy is planning to get her a tent and make her a sleeping bag too.
Mommy also wants to try rafting with us. I don't know what this is but she said that she will have to get us life-jackets first.
[notify]
Ozzy

I love toys!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '06 10:15pm PST 
my mommy is so happy to find others who enjoy back packing!
she hasnt gotten me a back pack yet but is hoping to, still shopping around. she's probably going to get the kelty chuck wagon. no shops around here and no vehicle so she has to buy online so hopefully it'll fit right!! cant wait to start back packing with my mommy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5