GO!

Help with feeding...she wont eat dog food

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Maya

\\

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 8:10pm PST 
Hi everyone,
I am new to this site and I am looking for some help with my 2 year old husky. She is a purebred and will be 2 this June 29. She has been having problems eating. I have tried a number of thing, which include:

taste of the wild (both bison and fish)
Wet (salmon)
Origin (fish)
Evo (beef and fish)
Wet (beed, chicken, turkey, and duck)
Merrcks (which she has a wheat allergy so that doesnt work)
Blue Buffalo
Natural Balance (fish and sweet potato)

I am pretty sure there are other ones out there that I tried, at this point I have tried so many I can't remember all of them. Anyways, she weighs 37 lbs but had just decided to stop eating within the last month. I have tried a number of thing and nothing seems to work. I have tried making food, chicken, beef, rice. I have even been trying to give her raw beef. Today I gave her a cooked chicken leg, and she just snubbed it, but if I gave her a hot dog she would eat it....any ideas?? I am open to anything. I just want to get my girl eating again.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 9:08pm PST 
I would go with taste of the wild.(or another premium grain free food) If she is your only dog,I would free feed and figure that she will eat when she is hungry. As long as you have ruled out health problems, she will eat before she starves. Her weight sounds about right for a female husky. A lot of us are actually over breed standard. Huskies are not large dogs.

We used to have a malamute mix that only ate every few days. She lived to be 18 and died in her sleep. She never got too thin, although when she got really old I had to stop free feeding because she started to gain weight.
[notify]
Obi

LOVER

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 10:44pm PST 
Obi started this same crap about a month ago. We thought it was the food- which we rotate every month or so due to allergies with our Lab mix, Brandy- so we changed early and Obi ate it one day and then he wouldn't touch it the next. Turns out, he really doesn't like the food we changed to, TOTW Pacific Stream. But if we mix it with another flavor- NOT a fish flavor- and one of us pretends to eat it ourselves, then he will eat it. And by pretend, I mean we stick our faces in the bowl and make eating sounds. If he gets to the point where I have to actually eat some of it, I guess he'll just have to starve dog walk
[notify]

Maya --&- Ramses--

Mayaaaaaaa...don- t wander so- far....

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 11:01pm PST 
My vet says that when we offer our dogs lots of food they will tend to become picky. It happened with my Maya so we changed that and Ramses is doing very well in that aspect.

Maya won't eat because: she doesnt feel like eating, because she wants cat food instead, because she just didnt do enough exercise to get hungry, or because she was a wet-food dog can.

Our vet said to check to see if she had something wrong, but she didnt. He was like "Well, give her food, leave it for 20 mins then take it away. Let her get hungry, refusing food is not nice. Wait four-five hours and give her the same kind of food again. If not, take the bowl away again, and repeat. Teach her, it's that or nothing."

Of course, this if you know the food never caused her allergies or such. Sometimes they are trying to send a message like: You don't pay attention to me anymore, or cuddle me more. Mine does that sometimes, actually she's doing it now. So, good luck!
[notify]
Demon

Barked: Sun Jun 26, '11 12:33pm PST 
Hey everyone, I too have gone through this with both of my dogs. Everyone once in a while, they will get a lil picky but over time I have def picked up on most of my dogs' antics. I have figured out that sometimes their food may get a lil boring but have come across many ways to kind of spice up their food a lil bit. I will sometimes chop up some string cheese or mix in about a half of a tablespoon of yogurt into their dry food. They dairy will only help along with the good bacteria within their digestive system, but of course in moderate amounts. I too will admit to occasionally chopping up a hot dog between the both of them, but only in desperate times. But no matter what now, when I notice that they're being picky with their food, I spice it up some way,
Another way is to possible try some of the Super Premium Wet food. I have found the canned wet food, in both Loaf Form and Wet Liquid Form dog food by Evangers' and it works great. It's not any more expensive than the others you can find at the dog store.
I hope my input can help ya out. Good Luck!!!
[notify]
Snow

Hoka Hey, Clear- the Way

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 6:40pm PST 
I am also new on here. Snow, my first Sibe went through this with e when he was 2. I had brought home a whole deer, after visiting my parents for the holidays. I cooked the venison every way imaginable but usually with gravy. I would give Snow a few spoonfulls of gravy on his food. When the venison ran out, so did the gravy. Snow would not eat his food without the gravy. I would pick up his food after about 30 minutes. His next vhance to eat ws the following day. We went throough this routine for about 5 days befor he figured out that no more gravy was coming his way. After about day 5, he finally ate his food. We never had that problem again. When he finally got hungry enough, he ate.

Also, Siberian Huskies were bred to get by on less food for a similar sized breed. If they do not burn the calories, they will not need to eat. Just stick with your normal routine, and leave out the junk food and she will eventually eat when she gets hungry enough.

I do not free feed. I want my dogs to depend on me for everything. Also, the alpha, the pack leader always eats first. This will help you maintain your leadership position within the pack, your family. Being the pack leader is very important with being owned by Siberians. It keeps the household running more smoothly.

Good luck
[notify]
Snow

Hoka Hey, Clear- the Way

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 6:45pm PST 
I am also new on here. Snow, my first Sibe went through this with e when he was 2. I had brought home a whole deer, after visiting my parents for the holidays. I cooked the venison every way imaginable but usually with gravy. I would give Snow a few spoonfulls of gravy on his food. When the venison ran out, so did the gravy. Snow would not eat his food without the gravy. I would pick up his food after about 30 minutes. His next vhance to eat ws the following day. We went throough this routine for about 5 days befor he figured out that no more gravy was coming his way. After about day 5, he finally ate his food. We never had that problem again. When he finally got hungry enough, he ate.

Also, Siberian Huskies were bred to get by on less food for a similar sized breed. If they do not burn the calories, they will not need to eat. Just stick with your normal routine, and leave out the junk food and she will eventually eat when she gets hungry enough.

I do not free feed. I want my dogs to depend on me for everything. Also, the alpha, the pack leader always eats first. This will help you maintain your leadership position within the pack, your family. Being the pack leader is very important with being owned by Siberians. It keeps the household running more smoothly.

Good luck
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 10:13am PST 
Has she lost any weight since she became picky? There is often a shift in metabolism around age 2, so it's possible she simply does not need to eat as much. Your dog's weight is the indication that their food intake is adequate or not. Not that they are eating the amount you think they should be eating. Huskies in particular are notorious for not eating every day.

If she is losing weight, are these problems long-standing, or something new that has come up? If she was eating well and has stopped in the past month, you'll want to do a full health check, including bloodwork.

Feeding a variety of foods does not make a dog picky. Health problems and owners make a dog picky. When you feed a variety of foods, the same rules as feeding one food apply: You put food down, the dog eats it or doesn't, food goes away and THE SAME FOOD is re-offered at the next meal time. If you offer something new every time your dog doesn't eat, they will learn that if they hold out they might get something better in a few hours.

However, dogs do have personal likes and dislikes just as we do. You will encounter foods that your dog honest-to-goodness just does not like, and that's fine. Vance hates chicken. Fine. He eats everything else with no fuss, and I don't feed him chicken.
[notify]