GO!

Undercoat not growing back

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 6:57am PST 
I have two huskies, and both blew out their undercoats about a month or so ago. My male's coat has grown back in already, super thick and ready for winter. My female's coat is not growing back in at all. I have never shaved them and have no idea why her undercoat is not growing back. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer with this.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 8:11pm PST 
Have old is she? Have you had her long enough to see her blow coat before this? Does she have any other symptoms? What brushes (if any) did you use while she was shedding?

It's possible she's just running a bit behind your male's cycle. Ember was always about 2 months behind Vance. It's also possible your grooming tools stripped her coat completely. But if you've had her for years and this has never happened before, that probably isn't the case.

When it comes to hair loss and coat changes, the first thing I check is thyroid. Dogs with a low-functioning thyroid often lose hair, or have delayed hair growth. They may also seem unusually cold and tired, or gain weight despite a steady diet.
[notify]