GO!

Leaving the Puppy Outside

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Bella

Puppy Fitness- Trainer

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 3:07pm PST 
I would love to start bringing Bella to the family gatherings we have outside and was wondering what everyone uses to secure there dog while there or is it pretty much on the leash at all times?
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 7:57pm PST 
That really, really depends on the set up of the area, the activities you have going on, and Bella herself.

If you're in or near an open area (this is what I do with my dogs) you could get a long line or tie out of appropriate length with a ground anchor or bolt for a tree or building. We have plenty of space in both the locations we tend to have family gatherings, so it works well. I put them in a place where they can reach the edge of the activity without actually getting into the camp fire or tables, and then they have plenty of room to move around and just hang out too.

If it's all close quarters with lots of tables and chairs around, then yes, you probably would want to keep her on leash with you. Putting her on a long line or tie out would result in her getting tangled and knocking over furniture and people. If you don't want to have her with you the entire time, bring a crate she is comfortable in and will not break out of to set up when you need a break. I have done this with my dogs as well at outdoor events. If the weather is cool enough, I have let them hang out in the car for a break.

Regardless of the system I end up using, if I won't be able to see and keep an eye on them during the event I won't bring them. There's a lot that can go wrong leaving a dog outside, and a lot that can go wrong with a dog in a crowd... Combining the two can be disasterous if you aren't careful.

Then take her personal needs into account. If she'll destroy your car if she's alone in it, obviously leaving her in the car is a bad idea. If she chews through long lines, you'll need a tougher alternative. If she still needs a lot of work on leash training or greeting people politely, then you may want to forego tightly packed gatherings altogether until she's got more experiance and education. And so on.
[notify]