GO!

Husky talk sounds like growling

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Nanook

Pleeeeeze rub- mah belly!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 8:24pm PST 
my boy tlaks alot, but often it sounds like growling to those unfamiliar with him. It isn't, though. He makes his noises when we get home from being out without him or when he wants a walk, but when he does it he is happy and snuggly and clearly not growling. Do any of you have Huskies that vocalize like this? He also does the siberian whoo-whoo talking, too, but not as often as this growly noise he makes. He is a very sweet, very gentle boy who loves belly rubs and is not fearful of people.
[notify]
Lilly

Best hugs ever!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 5:36am PST 
Most times my sibe will make those growly noises and it's pretty much a wind up to the woo-woo-woo's. puppy
[notify]
Roxy

Reaaadddyy..seee- ttt.. G---OH A- BIRD!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 2:36pm PST 
Roxy has what i like to call a "SAS MOUTH". She starts off the with growling sounds and ends it liiike..... arrooouuu woooo arrrooou woooo wooooo....yea...she's a winner =D lol then she does this weird hop half summersalt looking thing then runs all over the place.
[notify]

Kale

Its A Husky- Thing,You- Wouldnt- Understand

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 11:21pm PST 
Kale does this when he wants something laugh out loud
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 9:13am PST 
Yup, sort of a low growowo that works upinto a proper woowoo. It is obvious I am not growling, but could sound like a growl to a stranger. dog walk
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sat Sep 1, '12 5:41am PST 
Vance purred. He would lean against me, gaze up at me and do this low, throaty rumble. It was lovely, but yeah, dogs don't really purr so most people thought he was growling. I have also heard him purr at air conditioners and nice beds.

His actual, "I've had it go f-yourself" growl was fairly high-pitched and clear (as growls go). It was always accompanied by a wrinkled nose and full set of teeth. I only heard him do it to a human once, and the guy totally deserved it. If he was ready to lose it, the tip of his tongue would poke through his front teeth. That was my cue that the situation had progressed beyond what he felt he could diffuse on his own and I needed to save him.

He had all sorts of very elaborate vocalizations on top of those. There was the "I'm here don't run into me" growl that became more prevalent after losing his eye, the "I'm annoyed but not really mad" growl, the bitching - there's no other word for it - with the full teeth that meant he was mad but not so mad he needed to start growling because there's a chance you might still realize how stupid you were being with a lecture...

I'd say he had one of, if not the most elaborate vocal languages I have ever encountered in a dog. And it did get him in trouble. Dogs who knew him knew that he just made a ton of noise, but I frequently had to save him from new dogs that were offended or scared.

Ember growls constantly during play. I actually warn people before I let her off leash. She runs full-tilt going "HURRRhuHURRRRR..." for no clear purpose. It must just be fun. She makes as many sounds as Vance did, but hers are much less constructive.

The only thing she's legit growled over are buffalo bones, and another dog has to walk straight up on her crate for that to happen.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 12:40pm PST 
Bella has two growls,on that means ok I've had enough you need to get away from me which she has only used on dogs. And then there's the I want you to rough house with me a bit more. That one she only does when she's mouthing my arm as we play at night or playing tug with me.
[notify]
Bandit

Woo-WOOO!!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 9:45am PST 
Bandit does that when he meets new people. It often scares them and they think he is going to bite. Although if he is at the vets, he DOES growl at people and has to wear a muzzle most of the time. He's very unpredictable around strangers in public places but at home he is just fine! He also Woo woo's at home. VERY loudly...especially when we first wake up. That's when he is the most excited!
[notify]