GO!

Fractured Lower K9

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Uso

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 10:21am PST 
So last week my little Uso broke her bottom K9, and of course the tip of the pulp is showing! We took her to vet to find out our options...its either extraction or root canal. I really do not want her to lose her tooth, she is only 1 year old, so I guess her roots are really strong still and it might affect her chewing if we remove it... but on the other hand a root canal is $2200-$2600!!!!! We had a consult at UC Davis (the best animal clinic around our area) and he gave us the risks of a root canal, there is a 95% success rate, but if we are in the 5% we could spend $2200 and still have to pull the tooth. Money is tight right now as we are spending $10,000 on all new plumbing in our house. Boy does Uso have good timing winkWe have her on antibotics until we can get it fixed, which has to be soon! But we need some advice...what is the best thing to do, will pulling the tooth really affect her like I am afraid it will?? Or will she bounce back and be perfectly fine?
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 1:12pm PST 
I think sometimes vets get very excited about technological progression and forget that just because you CAN, does not mean you SHOULD. Root canals for dogs seem to be very trendy right now. I recently had a client in a similar situation that you're in now. She straight up told her vet no way she's doing a root canal. Dog seems fine (although I believe he broke a smaller molar, not a canine).

Certainly, if you can afford a root canal or there is reason a root canal is necessary, I fully support them. But it does honestly seem like a trendy thing to me. I'd say the vast majority of the time, dogs don't care. And they certainly don't care about the aesthetic end of it. I know loads of dogs with missing teeth for various reasons. Canines aren't even part of the chewing process.

IMO, assuming there are no extraordinary circumstances involved in the root canal recommendation, I'd just pull the tooth. There's no point in jumping through hoops for little or no benefit, especially when you don't even have the hoops to jump to through.
[notify]
Uso

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 9:14pm PST 
Thanks for your input. I think you're right, she isn't going to care either way. And plus, it will add a little more personality to her! I have her scheduled to get her tooth pulled on Tuesday, and since we're on a "puppy" plan tyPe thing, it's going to be a lot less than expected!
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 9:16am PST 
I had a lower canine pulled. I was as good as new the next day and a bit miffed that I was kept on soft food for a week.
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 7:19am PST 
I wouldn't worry about chewing. Generally they chew with their molars not the k9s. The k9s are for grabbing and biting..
The process of a root canal is long and requires alot of anesthesia. And in the meantime while they are treating the tooth the dog can break it before they put the crown on.
I just had a root canal myself and I would of rather just pulled the tooth! So if it was my dog I woulda just extracted it
[notify]