GO!

joint abnormality? hardwood floors?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Tony

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 6:49pm PST 
Hi all. Question in regards to my husky's legs. I've always wondered if my lil guy has something wrong with his front legs as they bend out on the sides by his feet. Im not sure if this is a common trait with a husky, or if maybe our hardwood flooring had an effect in his growth? Thoughts????

photo here: http://files.dogster.com/pix/dogs/53/1086953/1086953_1290566764.jpg
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 6:25am PST 
I don't know about dog conformation, but in a horse the turned out feet would be a conformation flaw.

I don't think it is a joint abnormality, just an alignment issue. I can also tell you that my friend Auda has a similar problem and it has never slowed him down or caused him a seconds worth of problems. I doubt that your floor caused it, but if your dog is slipping on the floor, a walkway rug would be nice.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 6:48pm PST 
No, it's not normal. I know in Labs it's referred to as "duck foot." It's a confirmation flaw more than anything else. Curvature of the legs usually has more to do with incorrect tib/fib growth than joints. I suppose it could lead to joint problems down the road, if it's causing him to not walk correctly, but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I don't think it had anything to do with your flooring. Dogs grow up on hardwood all the time. Even if he is slipping around a lot, I would guess it's because of the "duck foot," not the other way around. My guys have no trouble on hardwood, tile, stone, whatever.

Edited by author Thu Nov 25, '10 6:49pm PST

[notify]