GO!

Raw Veggies??

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Scarlet

You want me to- do what?

Barked: Sun Nov 21, '10 6:01pm PST 
Scarlet looooovveess veggies, even more than her puppy treats ! If I make a salad she circles me like a vulture ! laugh out loud..I was just wondering is it ok to give her an celery and carrots? Are there veggies I should stay clear off ? Thanks !snoopy
[notify]
Gracie

Tricks ? - You can't be- serious.....

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 10:15am PST 
Carrots & apples are okay - supposed to stay away from grapes, onions, raisens, and I think celery because of the strings or something.Gracie likes cherry tomatoes but mostly because they roll and she can play with them. Somehting about the veggies most smell quite good to her, becuase she will take them in ehr mouth - like a sugar snap pea - throw it on the floor, then throw herslef on the floor on top of it! Bo-Bo will eat baby carrots, and I did give him the larger carrots, but he just took them outside and sat by them - think some squirrel finally got them!I will give them a little conr on the cob, but I hold it for them to chew on, otehrwise the mess that follows just is not worth it!
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 9:38pm PST 
Onions and grapes/raisins are the big no-nos. I'd never heard that about celery and I have fed it to my guys (Vance loves it with cream cheese). I suppose it could happen if they don't chew the celery, since they can't digest the plant fibers.

And that's the main thing. Keep in mind that any whole, raw veggies she gets, she can not actually digest. They just pass through her system and come out the same way they went in. So you don't want to feed a lot of raw veggies on a regular basis, or it could interfere with her properly digesting the rest of her food.

Dogs can get nutrition from steamed/cooked or pureed veggies, although how much nutrition and what amounts are appropriate are debatable.
[notify]

Ilya

Barked: Sat Nov 27, '10 8:32pm PST 
Sophie my 7 month old pup will chew on carrots. I think its soothing to her teeth and she's loosing them left and right. I don't think they get very much nutrition from it unless you puree it. She will also eat squash and melon.

Ilya likes blueberries but I think he likes to spit them out and watch them bounce.

Edited by author Sat Nov 27, '10 8:33pm PST

[notify]