GO!

Help! i'm changing colors!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Zar

All of you are- here to adore- me!!

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 3:00am PST 
When my mommy got me, i was black and white, but now that i turned 1y, i'm geting blond/brown tinged hairs! is it because i spend a lot of time outdoors? what do i do now?
[notify]
Luna

I found my- forever home- -yippee !!

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 6:43am PST 
Actually Luna is doing the same thing !! I adopted her 5 months ago and she had salt and pepper colorings and now she is beginning to get so called red tinges behind her ears , and on her sides. A woman in my husky meetup group said her husky was continually changing color and markings- when her dog was a pup he had a full mask and by the time he passed away his face was completely clear !blue dog
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 6:31pm PST 
Huskies do tend to change colors. You've got a lot going on - "puppy coat" is lost around one year of age. The soft, fluffier coat is replaced by a stronger, silkier guard coat. Quite often it is a different color - for many breeds. I know Poodles that have changed from white to cream, or cream to apricot, an Akita who developed reddish-brown points, and many more.

The sun does play a large role. My little black Beagle cross used to turn auburn every summer from sunbathing. She would turn black again over the winter.

Dogs blowing coat will often appear lighter in color. The undercoat is what is lost during a blow, and it is usually white or cream. As it comes to the to the top of the coat, the dog looks paler. If you don't brush regularly, they may also appear striped as the undercoat starts to clump to fall out. Vance gets ridiculous stripes a month before he blows coat - I once had a child ask me why I would shave my dog like that!
[notify]

Shadow

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 11:07am PST 
yup Shadow is doing the same thing too, except I'm noticing some light brown on his tail
[notify]
Ilya

Barked: Sun Nov 7, '10 5:17pm PST 
Hi, I change colors each season. In the summer, I'm a light copper red with black banding in my guard hair. Right now, I'm changing to more of a chocolate brown still with black banding.

My mask pattern is changing. My avatar picture is 3 years old and now I'm starting to get a dark brown patch under my eyes. My pictures look like different huskies sometimes.
[notify]
Obi

LOVER

Barked: Tue Nov 16, '10 5:02pm PST 
Obi isn't even a purebred and he changed color starting at around 4 months. He started getting black hairs mixed in with his cream/blonde ones and the eyebrow marks he had as a little bitty guy almost completely disappeared. I think this is just something they all go through... like Husky puberty or something wink
[notify]
Sammy

King Sammy-

Barked: Wed Nov 17, '10 7:42am PST 
When I adopted Sammy at 18 months old, he was white all over except for a dark orange spot at the base of his tail. He blew his coat that spring and in the fall he began to grow in his red. I looked it up and found out that the white sibe i thought I'd adopted was actually a red sibe. He's now 6 and he gets redder every fall. He still has his orange/red spot and I think he's gets more beautiful each year. You gotta love these unique dogs! Sammy never stops amazing me.snoopy
[notify]
Zar

All of you are- here to adore- me!!

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 2:56pm PST 
Pheeewww!! i thought i was the only one!! thank you all for sharing!! we are definitely special!!
[notify]