GO!

How to brush your Husky

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Luna

Barked: Fri Oct 22, '10 8:30am PST 
One of our major problems with our Siberian Husky is the amount that she sheds. I know it is a part of the breed. I was just wondering if anyone had advice on how to effectively brush a Siberian Husky or different techniques that work. Thanks
[notify]
Nikita

i want to go- outside!

Barked: Fri Oct 22, '10 6:33pm PST 
We use a furminator. She is shedding right now and I'll be working on her for the third time this week. The furminator gets all the undercoat that is loose out. You can look on you tube, put husky and furminator, and see lots of people shedding their huskies with it.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 6:51pm PST 
I use a wide tooth comb. When you comb (or brush), start at the bottom of the dog and work your way up. You're combing with the 'grain' of the fur, but working backward into it, tail to neck. That way you pull out the most fur possible, without pulling it down into itself. Same principle as when you brush your own hair - you start at the bottom and slowly de-tangle your way up - you don't start at your scalp and yank the brush through to the bottom.

Don't wait to brush until your Husky is obviously shedding. By that point the fur has been loose for a while, but now it's clumped together and irritates the dog as it pulls out. Sometimes I use a slicker brush for maintenance. The dogs tend to like it better because it pulls less, but it isn't great for getting everything down to their skin the way a comb will.

Four Paws shedding blades are excellent as well, but I've always felt they damage the coat. It's not terrible damage, but I'm fairly sure they break guard hairs and if you're not careful you can completely remove patches of undercoat - which is also a risk with a Furminator. I do use them though. I don't show my dogs, so they don't need to have a pristine coat. Four Paws is the only brand I've found that really works.

Also, diet, diet, diet! I can't even begin to explain what a dramatic difference there is between my two raw-fed Huskies, and my boyfriend's Husky who eats mid-range kibble. The closer you can get to a well-balanced, meat-based diet with plenty of omega 3's, the better.

Edited by author Mon Oct 25, '10 6:57pm PST

[notify]

Misty *RIP- Mommy's- Angel*

Is that food for- me???

Barked: Sun Nov 7, '10 4:48am PST 
We have every brushing tool know to man, but the most effective have been a metal comb, wide on one end and fine on the other, and a slicker brush, which Misty hates but we love as it gets just tons of fur out. I still haven't tried the furminator, I rubbed it across my hand and it felt even harsher than the slicker brush and she already dislikes that. I also use a zoom groom between serious brushing sessions to just get the super loose stuff off, like right before they come in from playing, I will sit on the deck and just get the worst of it before she comes in the house. She loves it's soft, finger-like teeth, I think it must feel like she is getting petted or massaged because she will sit forever for that thing!
[notify]