GO!

couple q's for ya husky owners

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sassy

Red Monster with- blue horns- Killer!

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 3:41pm PST 
In your guy's opinion, what would be too hot to exercise your Sibe? 60 degrees? 70? Also, is it necessary to cut the hair that grows out between the pads on the paws. I haven't had Sassy groomed in a long time.
[notify]
brandi

brandi is best

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 4:03pm PST 
no don't worry with the hair between the feetsmile
[notify]
☆ Lacy

If it is mine,- it must never be- yours.

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 4:33pm PST 
I trim lacys paws all the time in the summer and let it graw in the winter.

I've exercised her in 80 degree weather, but I kept it short and moderate. I'm lucky to have a treadmill that she loves to run on in the house, so I cheat laugh out loud
[notify]

Nikita

i want to go- outside!

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 4:42pm PST 
Last summer I didn't exercise Niki at all from about June to October because it is hot here in Oklahoma. I let her go in/out dog door on own and let her play on her own terms and she mostly worked out her need to exercise that way. Every once in a while I would do something crazy with her inside to work out extra needs to exercise, but no walks or our usual bike rides.
[notify]
Luna

I found my- forever home- -yippee !!

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 6:24pm PST 
We exercise early morning while there's still shade on the road and if there's time, go to the dog park after dark. Some days the temp can still be 90 in the evening. Luna will play and run for 15 - 20 mins and when she stops playing I know it's time to go. There are a few sibes @ the park and they seem to have more stamina then Luna and will run and run and run . Maybe it's all about acclimation ...
[notify]
Ilya

Barked: Tue Jun 8, '10 7:36pm PST 
Ilya lets me know when he's had enough and heads back to the house. I watch his breathing. If he pants heavily, he's too hot.
[notify]
Argo

Love my mommy!

Barked: Tue Jun 8, '10 8:00pm PST 
i live in San Antonio, TX...and i have been training her to be a service dog, but she was doing search and rescue before hand and is used to going outside...but if they arent used to it then they can have a problem...they can burn their paws and lose a lot of water from their paws and from the heat...desheding before hand is helpful...also...if you do have to take her out...you can get something like the swamp thingy...but this is product was listed on the service dogs boards that might be helpful...plus its cheeper...and much more costumizing...you can even put doggies name on it...
http://www.horseworks.com/inc/sdetail/181
this will help with keeping them cool if you need to take them out on a walk but its too hot...
also...here is a website that has boots that actually stand up to longterm use...
https://www.neopaws.com/catalog/dogshoesdogbootsandlegwraps- c-39.html?osCsid=hqhl86p4i9n1mjjbjq25dcnug3
[notify]
Achilles

Snow dogs love- the beach

Barked: Wed Jun 9, '10 6:15am PST 
Achilles is a much lazier dog in the summer. In the cooler months we go to the park, on walks, biking, he's just a lot more active. In the heat of the summer he's ready to go in after a 20 minute walk around the block or 10 minutes of playing in the back yard. I live in Florida so it gets pretty hot. It was over 100 yesterday with the heat index, I guess I'd rather be inside on the cold tile with the ac blasting too lol.
[notify]
Bella

I am smarter- than your- average human.

Barked: Mon Jun 14, '10 6:25am PST 
We usually head to the dog park a little after 6pm. It is still pretty hot here in LA at that time, but there are 2 swimming pools full of water. When Bella gets hot she jumps in them and splashes until she is completely soaked. Usually stay out with her for about an hour.
[notify]
Shadow

Barked: Tue Jun 15, '10 2:10pm PST 
It gets REAL hot and humid here!! Like now, it's in the 90's and the Heat Index is over 100!
I wait until about 7:30 to take them for walks and even then it can still be very hot, but they definitely need their exercise every day. If it's horribly hot, we do cut down how long we walk.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2