GO!

Dew claws

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Elektra

Im a star!

Barked: Sat Apr 19, '08 5:10am PST 
Just wondering whats peoples thoughts on dew claws?
I have a litter of pups, and some have front/rear dew claws. The vet says its totally up to me whether they are removed or not, but must be done before Tuesday, otherwise its up to the new owners at a later date.
I dont want to put them through any unnecessary stress, and am getting a lot of conflicting advice, but obviously if its best for them I will get it done. The girl Im keeping also has them, is it best to remove them now, later or not at all?
[notify]
Juno and- Ketah

keep the sand- out of your- nose.......

Barked: Sat Apr 19, '08 8:39am PST 
I have two 10 month old huskys and one has dew claw and the other does not...... I dont have to clip there nails at all because we keep active walking and so forth and that keeps there nails short.....but the one that has dew claws will now have to be cut.... which I guess i really dont like ..... its just two nails but it would be nice to not have to do that........ cutting the nail or rather I think I will try to just keep them filed down....is not a problem.... but I sure hate to cut too much one time and then she will not like me again..........If it was me with a letter I would get them done......I think in the long run with now nail clipping because they are gone there will be less stress on the dog when they are older......
[notify]
Lexi

Barked: Sat Apr 19, '08 12:47pm PST 
Lexi has her dew claws up front, never really had a problem with them at all. they need to be cut maybe once every couple of months and thats only cause they scratch the hell out of me when we are wrestling. other then that i don't really see a reason to remove them unless there is danger for them to get ripped off. to each their own i guess but if it were me i wouldn't worry about it. i notice that lexi really uses hers when she is out running in the grass and snow, helps her get a little bit more grip. i bet if you took an adult with dew claws outside you would notice they they collect a fair amount of dirt from all the work they actually do. that being said if you do remove them it isn't going to be a big deal either, a lot of people remove them simply for aesthetic reasons.
[notify]

Elektra

Im a star!

Barked: Sat Apr 19, '08 2:43pm PST 
On closer examination of my little bundles of joy, 3 have floppy rear dews, but all of them have front dews, but he front ones are all firmly attatched, and as Elektra has got her fronts and never have caused a problem I've decided to only get the rear ones off, as they look like theyd cause a problem.
I will book an appt on Monday, along with a full health check for pups and mum.
[notify]
Kristari's September Calypso

Calypso has- landed!

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '08 10:47am PST 
Unless you remove them when the pups are still very young, having dewclaws removed can be pretty major. At least it was in my case. I was a little over six months old and had them taken off the same day I was spayed. I had to wear little bandages on my feet and I did NOT like them. I tried to chew them off and it drove my person crazy!

Dewclaws can be problematic though. They can catch on things (and scratch people if you jump on them) and pull. A lot of mushers remove them so they won't rub if the dogs wear booties. I think, all and all, it's better to have the dewclaws off.
[notify]
Elektra

Im a star!

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '08 2:36pm PST 
The three who needed them got them off today, it was awful to watch but a necessary evil. They are 4 days old today and its illegal here to do after 6 days, unless theres a problem with them, or whilst getting dog spayed/neutered.
The vet said, the way they were, no joint, just flesh, they would have almost certainly been a problem. As it is theyre now all fine and forgotten their ordeal.
Vet also said the pups are right chunky little monkeys and Elektra is on extra calcium to give her a helping hand with the 8 chunks.

Edited by author Mon Apr 21, '08 2:36pm PST

[notify]
Kodi

Mr. Floor- Swimmer

Barked: Sat Apr 26, '08 10:23pm PST 
Always, always remove those back dew claws, they cause nothing but problems, you made the right choice! With the front ones, it depends on what you're doing with the dogs. For working/hunting dogs, I'd say remove them because they're in danger of getting caught, but for a pet, it's not a big deal. My sibe doesn't have front dewclaws, but that'st he way I got him. My border collie has them and they don't bother her at all. good luck with the pups!
[notify]