GO!

Help With Training

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Daisy

I'm so happy!

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 2:15pm PST 
dog I have a foster brother and sister who, in my opinion, are hard to train. Can you help?
[notify]
Beach Angel- Chelsea, CGC

Smile! It is- good for you.

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 6:51am PST 
Shih Tzus are notorious for being difficult to train. It isn't that we are low on the grey matter...it is that we are too smart for our 2-legged counterparts! Why should we *YAWN* do anything we don't want to? This can be a problem, I know...

Some suggestions: Find something that is a good motivator. For me? Food does NOT work. Nope, mama and I go to training class with my favourite stuffed octopus toy instead. Don't use a choke or pinch collar. These don't work well either. My big sister, Tifanny, went to obedience class that used this and let me tell you, it wasn't a good thing cuz she couldn't care less about those collars! PAWSITIVE reinforcement works wonders for us Shih Tzus!

Keep in mind that Shih Tzu means Lion Dog and Lion Dog is basically, CAT dog. If you've ever been around a cat, then that should give you a hint!

Patience is key. Yep, patience. We can learn. We are just obstreperous!
[notify]
Beach Angel- Chelsea, CGC

Smile! It is- good for you.

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 6:52am PST 
Shih Tzus are notorious for being difficult to train. It isn't that we are low on the grey matter...it is that we are too smart for our 2-legged counterparts! Why should we *YAWN* do anything we don't want to? This can be a problem, I know...

Some suggestions: Find something that is a good motivator. For me? Food does NOT work. Nope, mama and I go to training class with my favourite stuffed octopus toy instead. Don't use a choke or pinch collar. These don't work well either. My big sister, Tifanny, went to obedience class that used this and let me tell you, it wasn't a good thing cuz she couldn't care less about those collars! PAWSITIVE reinforcement works wonders for us Shih Tzus!

Keep in mind that Shih Tzu means Lion Dog and Lion Dog is basically, CAT dog. If you've ever been around a cat, then that should give you a hint!

Patience is key. Yep, patience. We can learn. We are just obstreperous!
[notify]

Daisy

I'm so happy!

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 3:13pm PST 
Yes, I do have a cat. As far as motivation goes, they are food motiveated.
[notify]