GO!

less then nine pounds

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Gizmo

I AM the King of- the Castle!!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 6:05pm PST 
Gizmo is 2 1/2 years old and he is really tiny. He is not very tall and the vet said that 10 lbs would be his perfect weight. The vet said that to help him gain weight to put him back on puppy food. Well he has been on puppy food for over six months and he is not gainning any wieght.

What else could I do (he doesn't like treats)?
[notify]
Harry

is it time to- eat?!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 8:24pm PST 
he's a little peanut!

i would talk to your vet. would assume he/she wouldn't want him to just gain pure fat. guessing there might be a different food you could try, but i don't know what.

he doesn't like any treats? nothing?
[notify]
Gizmo

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 7:53am PST 
Well he will eat treats but he takes his sweet time to to do so.

He will put them on the floor and look at them for a few seconds, maybe give it a little or two... but by this time the other dog in the house would have body checked him and stollen the treat.
[notify]

Harry

is it time to- eat?!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 11:20am PST 
harry used to be a little like that when he was just a babe. he used to not even want to eat his meals. then something happened and he became a total food / treat nut. if you offer it, harry will eat it.

anyway, not sure what kind of treats you're giving, but here's a few that harry goes absolutely crazy for:
1. pieces of baby carrot - probably his favorite treat. but not likely to help gain weight
2. stella & chewy's carnivore crunch - come in chicken or beef
3. a dollop of plain stonyfield yogurt or some cottage cheese.

good luck!
[notify]
Lucy

Born to Shop!

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 5:58am PST 
Neither of us are breed standard and our vet says we good weight for our body frame. As a matter of fact, my sister< maddie is almost 8 months and only weighs 3.7 lbs. Our vet told mom a good way to judge weigh is to run your finger down the spine, you should feel the bony feeling of the spine. He said, we are small but not skinny. Our muscles and bones are well developed.

We eat Solid Gold Weebits and adds either some cooked meat or Honest Kitchen Embark into the kibble for added nutrition. We also get a teaspoon of either yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast. We do not get many snacks but when we do it is usually an all meat jerky (got to make sure there is no wheat gluten in it) or flossy to clean our teeth. My sister, Maddie like Wellness cookies, but I really do not like cookies.
[notify]
Driving Miss Daisy Duke

Daisy- Little dog with- a big heart!

Barked: Tue May 8, '07 7:03pm PST 
My little girl is 2 years old and only weighs 6.5 lbs. Our doc would like to see her get to be around 8 lbs, and so we've been using a supplement called Nutri-Cal. I give her 1 tsp. everyday and over the last month she is up to a little over 7 lbs. smile
[notify]
Isabelle- (2/8/05 ~- 3/17/13)

Dadd- y's- Girl!

Barked: Tue May 15, '07 6:16pm PST 
Isabelle was smaller and needed to gain weight. We started rotating her diet and adding homecooked foods in with it and now she has gained that extra pound she needed. For her I think she got sick of the same food and wouldn't eat on a consistant basis. Now that we rotate she has been a better eater.

puppy
[notify]
Gizmo

Barked: Wed May 23, '07 2:06pm PST 
Why type of home made food?
[notify]
(In MEMORY) Tigger

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 2:51pm PST 
Tigger is currently overweight due to her cancer medications, but her normal weight is just at eight pounds. She is petite, even for a Shih Tzu, and we did have some trouble keeping weight on.

Regarding weight gain, changing the type/amount of food can help greatly... if appetite is a problem, adding a spoonful (or more) of canned food can help. Finding some RAW/BARF items is not a bad idea at all.

Tigger enjoys raw, meaty bones (purchased from a butcher) mixed with raw veggies and fruits. Adding a bit of raw egg and rice would not be a bad idea either.
[notify]