GO!

very frustrated - slow to go...

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Harry

is it time to- eat?!

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '07 12:18pm PST 
i posted the below on the behavior board. but my frustration is so high that i figure it couldn't hurt to post here too so as many people might see / provide advice as possible.

"harry is not into the quick pee. ever. and i was just wondering if this has been experienced by anyone else. b/c all other dogs i've known...when they go out, they pee on the first thing they see.

not sure if it's b/c he doesn't lift his leg. but he will walk...three...sometimes four blocks before he goes.

and perhaps i'm giving him too much credit...but i sometimes think he's trying to manipulate me into taking him for a longer walk.

i had asked our trainer about this awhile ago. she said we should be taking him out...walking him around for three minutes. if he doesn't pee. bring him right back in. and then wait a few min and start all over again. once he pees, then he gets the walk. as a reward.

this has been...minimally successful at best. first of all...i look like a lunatic dragging this nine pound dog in and out of our building literally five or six times in the space of 30-40 minutes only to walk to the end of the block and then back.

and secondly, it's very hard to stick to because it requires so much time. on the days when i've tried doing this - three minutes, no pee, back in the house, wait and then back out again... we can play this game for upward of three or four hours. who has that kind of time every day?!

and third of all...by about the second time i'm taking him out (he's not all that tolerant)...he's digging his paws in b/c he no longer wants to walk where i'm walking.

in general, he is SUCH a good dog. but this little piece...this walking peeing piece of him...makes me at times want to scream.

any advice?"

today i tried a dogster's advice of staying in one general vicinity until he goes. since 1pm - we've been out five times! and no pee. he hasn't gone since 7:30am. i know he has to go. he just refuses b/c he wants to walk. and i've wasted two hours of my day dragging him in and out of our building. i'm so... SOOOO... frustrated.

please give me some ideas.

Edited by author Mon Apr 23, '07 12:21pm PST

[notify]
Riley

HEY...that's- MINE!

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '07 6:58pm PST 
Sorry...no ideas from me. Riley is still using puppy pads inside. Now that Spring is here, we are starting to transition him to going outside.

Good luck.way to go
[notify]
Paddington

Be tuff ! The- "dog days" of- summer can

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '07 8:17am PST 
Paddington used to go soon as i took him outside but now at 6months he tends to want to hold it and mark his territory on the way around in different places. How many times do you take him out a day? I basically have paddington on a schedule he goes when he gets up in the morning and then about every 6 hours until his last pee at 11 at night.
[notify]

Harry

is it time to- eat?!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 2:55pm PST 
hi there.

thanks for responding. harry was better when he was little too. though, he has started getting a bit better over the last couple of days...only taking an hour or so of in and out to get him to pee.

honestly, he only goes for potty three times a day - morning, noon and night. any more often than that and he really wouldn't have to go badly enough to make it worth fighting him.

plus he can hold it like no other. he's like a camel...it's crazy.
[notify]
Molly

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 6:40am PST 
I trained my dogs to go when I tell them, it has really been handy at times.
This is how I did it. I would bring them out and as soon as they started to go I would say "Get Busy" a couple of times and when they were done I would give them a treat and praise. It took a little while, but now when I say" get busy", they both squat and pee right away.
[notify]