GO!

Let's Talk About Matts!!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Abigail!- ♥

I'm Abbalicious!

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '07 5:07pm PST 
I like to keep my hair long so my mom uses one of those brushes with the long rakey looking teeth. Also, the last time we came back from the breeder, she flat ironed my hair with a chi iron and now it is much silker and tangles less.
[notify]
bella

diva doll

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '07 6:53pm PST 
i love all these tips especially like the chi iron. so funny. i notice to bella gets mats where her t shirt sleeves are. her poodle brother chews her hair (don't ask i don't know) so i put her in t shirt then i noticed the mats on her legs man i can't win i love the long coat but i don't think it's going to be. just probably puppy clipp.
[notify]
Driving Miss Daisy Duke

Daisy- Little dog with- a big heart!

Barked: Tue May 8, '07 7:08pm PST 
No matts here, but she has a very silky coat and it doesn't seem to matt as easily as the shih tzus with the more cottony coat. I do comb her thoroughly every evening, and that removes all the excess hair that I think causes a lot of matting issues. I bathe her once a week, and I spray a little detangler on her after the bath before I dry her hair. The most I ever see on her are little tiny tangles under her legs that come out very easily.
[notify]

Tifanny

Choppity!- (means, 'Hurry- up! Let's go!')

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 6:58am PST 
Ya gotta get the Quicker-Slicker! We've been using it for years...recommended it to others here on Dogster. It is made by Nature's Specialties and it is just the bomb. You can spray it on after your bath when your hair is wet and it will help the blow dry go quicker. You can also spray it when your hair is dry to help de-tangle your hair/mats.

Key to mats? Brush AND comb daily. Yep, that's the trick. It's a good 30 minute job each day. If you want long hair, then you have to submit to it. Lots of people don't realize the work it takes to keep a Shih Tzu in show coat. That's why those who do see us with long hair don't know what kind of dog we are!cheer

PS: Mama uses Quicker-Slicker in her own hair.
[notify]
Princess- Reeny

A noise! i heard- a noise!

Barked: Fri May 18, '07 8:06pm PST 
hmmmm. i would matt alot, but mommy and granny keep my fur short enough that brushing once a day keeps me matt free. my adopted brother seems to never matt...he has different fur, and he used to have longer fur too...but now hes been cut short as well.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2