GO!

Shiba face color is changing

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Felix The- Midnight- Bandit

Felix the- Midnight Bandit

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 10:49am PST 
Hey there! I recently added a shiba into my house smile he is a ball of energy and I love him dearly already.. One thing that is bothering me, when I got him when he was around 6 weeks old, he had the perfect shiba look (for a black and tan I mean) the little dots above his eyes, everything. Now he is around 14 weeks, and his face is completely changing, the little tan dots above his eyes arent there anymore, instead his entire face is turning tan? Im so confused, he is registered and everything, ive seen his pedigree, im just wondering what would cause this? Does this mean he he not 100% shiba? Or is this commen? Help!!??
[notify]
Hamlet

Is it a fox?

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 11:06am PST 
http://www.shibas.org/newstand/judge.html

Good reference for the standard black and tan there. A B&T should have a muzzle/cheeks that are pretty much tan with only a stray bit of black near the eyes. Black should not start until the forehead/ear area. This would be proper Urajiro. They have an excellent picture on the website. A puppy will 'grow' into his Urajiro as he ages, so that might be what you are seeing.

Maybe you could explain a bit if this is not what you are experiencing? Maybe pictures?

A Shiba, unlike some other dogs, 'grows' into their coat - particularly the more hybrid colors such as B&T and Sesame. There are ALOT of changes over the first 6-12 months of life, and most breeders argue that a coat of a sesame/B&T isn't 'set' until around 1 year of age. If you look at Hammy's pictures, you can see some of him as a younger pup and see how his coat matured. White markings (urajiro) particularly become more pronounced during this time.

Edited by author Fri Jun 24, '11 11:07am PST

[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 11:25am PST 
thanks for the responce smile well, im hoping that this is just a phase, but who knows? i've got a recent picture up on felix's profile (im new to the site so i dont know my way around too well lol) but yeah, hes got the tan markings everywhere they should be, i just dont understand why his entire face is turning tan?
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 11:43am PST 
I added a new pic so you can actually see his whole body... And you can tell where the tan used to stop and see where it is now on his head...
[notify]
Mika

treats? where?!

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 11:58am PST 
From looking at the pics of Felix, it looks like he may be a "tri-color" shiba and not a true B&T.

If he is B&T with a red head he's considered a tri-color.

Was there any reason why you got him at 6 weeks? That is an awful young age to be separated from mom and littermates.
[notify]
Kaida

Official Shiba- Squirrel Tracker

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 12:00pm PST 
Looking at him he doesn't look pure shiba to me, but black and tan shibas do occasionally develop a "tan" head. They are just undesirable for show since they aren't marked right. Kaida isn't marked right because she has too much black on her, if you look at her pictures. Hunni on here also has the same type of markings. Doesn't mean he isn't pure shiba, but by looking at the pics and not because of his markings I do wonder if he isn't mixed. Either way he's adorable! smile
[notify]
Hamlet

Is it a fox?

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 12:51pm PST 
Shiba coats aren't perfect and it's very possible for a purebred dog's coat to have a fault (such as a tan head). This does not detract from the pup at all, just means they aren't a perfect standard as far as the show rings go! I wouldn't say he's not a purebred Shiba, just possibly has a few faults to his coloring which doesn't make him any less of a lovely dog. A creamy shiba also has a fault in their coat, but they're still adorable!

You'll see a number of variations in coats between Shibas - the coloring is something that show breeders work very hard to get right and there are ALOT of colorings that don't meet standard, even in their own litters.

I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Focus on the wonderful pup you have and how cute he is in his own right! Hamlet, for example, has faults in his teeth that would disqualify him from showing. Doesn't mean he's any less perfect to me! In fact, I always tell people (like our vet!) that if his teeth were perfect, the breeder would have probably kept him for his own kennel!
[notify]
Yoshi

OK, have you- ever actually- SEEN a fox?

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 3:44pm PST 
I have seen plenty of purebred shibas with this coloring. Just because it's not a 'show standard' color, it doesn't mean he's not a real shiba, or purebred.
Most shibas I have met are not show standard shibas, including my own 2.
[notify]
M.RY's- Utsukushii- At Pinnacle

Proud Heritage- Shows, NIPPO- Shiba Inu

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 4:08pm PST 
Changing colors are normal in most every Shiba. It is just a coat fault nothing is wrong with him. When I got Sakura she had a black face mask but now it is going away fading into white and red
[notify]
Faye

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 5:45pm PST 
If you look at Faye's profile pictures, you'll see how much her face has changed colors.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2