GO!

Ear Problems

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Luther

I eat all the- treats!

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '08 6:39pm PST 
Hey all!

Luther has been acting a bit strange lately, he keeps on scratching near his ear, and shaking his head (a lot), and he's been kind of lazy with the "problem" ear. So do you think that maybe he has an ear infection? Or ear mites?

Is there anything I can do for him until I take him to the vet?
[notify]
The Keeks- (2005-2013)

Shaking it (not- breaking it)- since 2005!

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '08 6:48pm PST 
Luthor, sorry you feel bad! Is there any weird brown color in your ear? Does your ear have any bad smell? Those are usually signs of infection. Also, make sure to check (gently!) inside the ear to make sure it's not a foxtail or something else caught in there.
[notify]
Tetsuya

I'm a snuggly- boy!

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '08 8:50pm PST 
I would just have a look in there as best as you can. I'd be wary to try and clean his ears or anything in case there is something stuck in there. Best to have your vet check it out.
[notify]

Kuma-kun

Are these for- me?

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '08 9:01pm PST 
You can Google a homemade dog ear wash. There's one that is 1 part white vinegar and 1 part rubbing alcohol. Mix in a squirt bottle. Squirt into your dog's ears gently, then massage the base of the ears about 30 seconds. Stand back and they'll shake out the excess. Ask your vet about using this first.

A bug flew into Kuma's ear about three weeks ago and he was doing the Shiba scream up and down the house. He was off-balance, bumping into things and shaking his head vigorously. We used some commercially bought ear wash and a few hours later after some quiet time he was ok.

Don't stick any q-tips or foreign objects into his ears. If there are signs of infection (odor, dicoloration, tenderness) then definately wait for the vet.

How long has he had this condition?
[notify]
Dewi- (2002-2013)

I am the Queen- of Shiba

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 3:07am PST 
Go to the vet! Dewi had a chronic ear infection and did the same thing. I had to clean her ear once a day and give her antibiotics in her ear once a day as wel. It took several weeks for it to get better.
Better safe than sorry!
[notify]
Suki

Unofficial Shiba- Inu Spokesdog

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '08 12:38pm PST 
Any news Luther?? I hope that you are well. I agree with everything above. Suki got a foxtail in her ear & one in her eye last week. They are nasty little seeds, shaped like barbs. No fun!
[notify]
Luther

I eat all the- treats!

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '08 2:28pm PST 
Hey all,

We haven't been to the vet yet, the earliest appointment that they had available was tomorrow frown So we go in at 10 am tomorrow, I'll find out then. I hope that it's nothing, I worry about the little guy!
[notify]
Deshi

I'm cute and I- know it!

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '08 3:25pm PST 
Let us know what the vet says. Feel better soon Luther!
[notify]
Nakita

I can has socks?

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '08 3:44pm PST 
We had this twice with our Eski. Once, it was mites. The second time, it was hair growing around the ear drum - we had to have him sedated to have that remedied.
[notify]
Luther

I eat all the- treats!

Barked: Wed Jul 23, '08 8:11am PST 
Hey everyone, we just got home, they are not quite sure whats wrong but he's got dry skin all the way down to his eardrum. The vet thinks maybe allergies, so she prescribed ear drops for the next couple days...hopefully it will go away in the next few days!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2