GO!

Dry Food for Adult Saint.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ella

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 10:21am PST 
Hi All,
Just found this forum and it is great to see alot of other Saint lovers. Anyway I am looking into changing my Saint's - Ella, dry food. I have tried researching this on the web but havent found alot Saint specific info. I was considering either Orijen, Canidae or Wellness. Anyone have any recommendations to which is better? Thanks for any info.
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 3:49pm PST 
Those are all great foods! My Bella has food allergies so we don't have as many choices. I do try and stay away from food with fat listed in the top 4 ingredients or has citric acid used as a preservative, we add some water to her food (Perdue study listed these things as risk factors of bloat). A lot of people like to use many foods in a rotation. I feed my smaller dogs this way and they enjoy the variety!

There are a few good forum posts in the general forums under Food and Nutrition. One is called So you are confused by dog food and another is Large Breed Puppy Nutrition. I know you do not have a puppy but I found it incredibly helpful debunking large breed feeding myths.
[notify]
Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Sun Jan 29, '12 9:10pm PST 
Sarge is on Nutro Natural Choice "Large Breed Adult". He has been since he was 7mo. (now 3yrs.) It contains the Glucosamine and Chondroitin for healthy hip joints. Bigger dogs have tendencies to develop bad joints in the legs due to size.

Top four ingreds: Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour.

Crude Fiber listed at 5%

Whatever you choose, just read the labels. I'm using mine right now to get you this information. I had forgotten all that is in it but I know I was impressed with the configuration when I started him on this.
[notify]

Ella

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 8:18am PST 
Does anyone know the approximate amounts to look for for protein, fat and fiber for a Saint? A few brands have really high protein levels (>40%). I have looked around a lot and I have seen many different ideas one being for an adult the protein should be around 25%, fat around 16% and fiber less than 4%. Does this sound right or should they be getting more protein?

I did read the posts in the food and nutrition section and they helped a lot. I just wanted to get a little more Saint specific info. Thanks for the help so fay.
[notify]
Ella

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 11:23am PST 
OK well I have narrowed it down to switch to Chicken Soup, TOTW and Canidae. Has anyone used these for their Saint?
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 4:48pm PST 
My Saint ate TOTW for awhile and liked it a lot, we had to switch because of the chicken meal and potatoes in it. Bella has eaten TOTW, Orijen, Natures Variety Instinct, Honest Kitchen, and EVO. I think I mentioned before that Bella had allergies to we are more limited to what she can eat. I would feed Canidae the grain-free anyway. I have heard good things about Chicken Soup but I personally have never considered feeding it. Bella is about 145lbs and eats about 4 cups or a little less of alls these foods!

Have you also checked out websites dedicated to food reviews? I tend to feed my Saints higher protein like 36-40% but I change foods for whatever they do best on. My previous Saint did the best on Blue Buffalo, Bella can't eat it at all. Good luck on your new food choice and Ella is beautiful.
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Fri Feb 3, '12 10:06am PST 
actually I have heard that the amount of glucosamine/chondriotin in foods is nowhere near what the recommended dosage is. I feed Orijen 6 Fish and Tessie is doing great on it. I also feed Weruva canned at dinner. heres a great site to look up what you are feeding

Dog Food Advisor
[notify]
Zoie

45 Mile Per Hour- Couch Potato

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 4:42pm PST 
First off all your Saint Bernards are so beautiful. I have had Greyhounds for years and know the problems that large breeds have with arthritis used Large Breed formulas for my dogs for years. Here is some added information you might find interesting.

Glucosomine and Chondrotin are natural in the proteins in dry dog food such as chicken, lamb, salmon, venison etc. and a lot of the dog food companies add glucosomine and condrotin supplements.

Some companies with Large Breed formulas add calcium and phosphorus which together helps with the formation and maintenance of bones and teeth as well as most metabolic actions in the body, including kidney function, cell growth and the contraction of the heart muscle. Assists the body in vitamin use (especially some B group vitamins) and is also involved in converting food to energy.

Have you ever tried Greenies Joint Care with Green Lipped Muscles. Here is the link to both the Greenies site and the story behind Green Lipped Muscles. They are a fairly new product and I have used them for my oldest Grey that has hip arthritis issues and it really helped her stop limping and start running more.

http://www.greenies.com/en_US/Products/Green-lipped-musse l/

http://greenies.com/en_us/Products/JointCare-Dog-Treats.aspx?P roduct_ID=
[notify]