GO!

2yo male Pug with seizures :(

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Frank

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 6:29am PST 
On July 4th, my male Pug, Frank had his first seizure. It was something that came on without any warning or idea why. He has had 2 more since then. All his seizures are "incomplete" and last less than 2mins and recovery is fairly quick - within 4mins he is up and around normally. He saw the Vet for a complete work up and blood work has come back indicating nothing that explains why this has started. My Vet has recommended he start on Phenobarbital to control the seizures and that he will be on this for the rest of his life. I am a little nervous about putting him on this med and wish there were something else I could do to help him. One thing I have noticed, all 3 seizures came on approx. a half hour to 45mins after a period of high excitiability/exercise. If I can just keep him calm, maybe it will never happen again? Don't know if that is possible with Pugs anyway. I also have his littermate - Maggie. She shows no signs of this, yet. So worried.

I just thought of something - I gave him his Frontline meds on Thurs (3 days before his first seizure) Could this have anything to do with the onset?

Any help or experience with seizures, thanks so much Kathy
[notify]