GO!

Does my puppy need a coat/sweater

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Leroy

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 6:49am PST 
Hey Everyone,

I got a 12 week old puppy about 2 weeks ago. I live in NYC and the weather has just changed and I'm wondering if I need a sweater or coat for my pup.

I see a lot of people with puppy sweaters, but I'm not sure if that's for fashion or necessity. thinking

He seemed to be shaking a little bit this morning when we were coming in from our morning play, but I think sometimes he shakes when he's excited too?

Any advice?
Thanks!
[notify]
Taz

Playful Pup

Barked: Fri Oct 24, '08 9:17pm PST 
Pugs don't do well in cold weather. I put sweaters or jackets on Taz in the winter. Not for fashion, but for his well being. I would get one that you can wash in case it gets dirty. Who cares what people think - your pug will be warm and happy! I think you get colder weather than we do in Pa. I haven't put a sweater on him this year yet, but I have a few ready to go when it starts getting really cold.
[notify]
JP

Life is good...

Barked: Thu Dec 11, '08 3:08pm PST 
It was 9F when I woke up this morning. 9F. Ahhh... Minnesota.

When it comes to winter weather, what should you worry about with your dog?

Winter coats
Is this a marketing plan, or do I really need to dress my dog in a flannel coat? My dog, JP, happens to be a short-haired dog, and when it's this cold, he actually does need a jacket sometimes. If it's a quick walk around the block, or if you're just letting him out the backdoor (into a fenced-in yard only, right?) for a minute, then it's not necessary. That said, certain breeds (such as Greyhounds, Chinese Crested, Italian greyhounds, Salukis, etc.) have an extremely thin hair coat. Top that off with little body fat, and they do needed the added protection of a dog coat. Remember, 40% of dogs in America are obese nowadays, but the site hounds (i.e., Greyhounds, Italian greyhounds, whippets, etc.) typically aren't. Your typical fuzzy German shepherd, Golden retriever, or labrador doesn't usually need a coat, unless you're planning on going for a full afternoon in negative-degree weather with severe windchill. At that point, you should question your own sanity in going out in that weather!

When picking a coat, make sure it's snug. If it's too large, I often find that the belly band (that wraps around your dog's prepuce) ends up bearing all the marking... in other words, Fido tends to pee on it. If your dog is a female, no problem, but when in doubt, make sure the coat fits well.

Outdoor dogs
For those poor outdoor dogs living in cold weather states or countries... make sure you're providing a warm shelter where your dog can a) snuggle up in some clean, dry straw, b) get out of the wind, snow, or sleet with a solid, draft-free shelter, c) eat some extra calories to help provide calories for warmth, and d) drink water. Now I know that seems intuitive, but I can't tell you how many people forget that their dog's water bowl is frozen. This can lead to a life-threatening high sodium level (hypernatremia) due to the inability to take in free water, and can result in a very bad, dangerous type of dehydration (hypertonic dehydration). Counter this problem by either bringing your dog in during the winter, getting a water heater, going out to offer warm water several times a day, or making sure to bait your dog's food (feeding warm broth/water mixed in the the kibble).

De-icing salt
Do your neighbors happen to throw a lot of environmentally unfriendly salt onto the sidewalks? If so, be wary and take the time to wipe it off your dog's feet. You don't want those chemicals or that salt sitting on the pads - or more importantly - the sensitive interdigital (inter-toe) area of his feet. Not only is this irritating, but you don't want your dog licking and swallowing all those chemicals. Use a damp terry cloth and wipe his paws once he gets inside (or my lazier version is to walk him through some salt-free snow before he comes into the house).

Nutrition
When in doubt, don't feed your dog more during the winter. You heard me. You know how we all gain that winter weight (at least we Minnesoteans do)? Well, you don't want your dog to do the same. You're likely not exercising your dog as vigorously during the cold months, and your dog doesn't need the extra calories unless he's living outdoors year round. Like I said before, a majority of the dogs I see are obese. I know it's tough love, and you don't think this applies to your dog, but it likely does... so unless you can feel ribs and see a nice "tucked" belly, hold off on that extra food. This counts for you too. Check out Purina's Body Condition Scoring website to see how your dog's bod compares.

Edited by moderator Sat Dec 27, '08 5:06pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

Penelope

Firecracker

Barked: Wed Feb 4, '09 5:59am PST 
They'll let you know if they're cold. They arent shy about shivering; if they do so, put a sweater on them. Our little Clyde really appreciated warm clothing when it was cold outside.
[notify]
Pablo

I'm a mouth- piece!

Barked: Wed Feb 4, '09 6:00pm PST 
I love the snow!!! I love to run and plow through it!!!
[notify]