GO!

Help with housebreaking

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sparkey

Curious George- and Babyboy

Barked: Sun Jun 22, '08 9:39am PST 
I have raised many Pugs but this one has been hard to housebreak!! We are still having problems and he knows what he is doing. Any help..advice would be appreciated.snoopy
[notify]
R.I.P.- Caesar H.I.- McDonough

'Foot Rubbies'- NOW Please.

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 8:43pm PST 
I wish I could help you, but I have the same problem with my 2 pugs. They are only housebroken when it's convenient for them. I finally had to put a doggie diaper on my oldest. To be fair, he has problems walking, so I don't think it's just laziness or willfulness most of the time for him.
Have you tried treats for them when they go outside? That's the only thing that has worked for my younger pug.
They're lucky they're so cute!! http://www.dogster.com/forums/post.php#
[notify]
Lily

More food with- my *whine*- please

Barked: Fri Aug 22, '08 7:52am PST 
Assuming all else failed and you're at wits end...if they're going to potty in the house, what about trying to confine it to a doggie box? Lily is as stubborn as they come, and she trained in a day or 2 with this method since it was convenient.

For whatever reason (and more common with smaller breeds), my pug always seemed to have to "go" more often than the others. Feeding on a schedule, limiting treats, and changing foods helped a little, but I still could not be home to let her out every time she felt the need, so this method worked better.

To keep costs low, we use a dog box lined with newspaper. It's important to make sure the box is readily in their sight before you try to move it to a more discreet location. For the first few days, it helps to keep the used paper in there (covered by a fresh sheet), just so they get the idea to go back to that spot to do their business. Don't forget the rewards and praise when they get it right....smile
[notify]

Lila

Barked: Mon Sep 15, '08 4:44pm PST 
I've noticed with my 2 that they go to the slider door, but if I don't notice that instant...in that blink of an eye, then they walk away and find somewhere else. They don't give me any indication other than to stand there for a second. I'm going to try to hand a set of bells that they can nudge...someone else mentioned it and I'm hoping it will work for me. Worth a try, right? I'm thinking the dollar store or a cheap crafts store...
[notify]
Vinnie

"Its mine!"

Barked: Sun Sep 21, '08 10:27am PST 
Housebreaking small dogs can be difficult because small dogs have more "non‐living areas" than large breeds, so restricting your dog's freedom is essential during housebreaking. The living area consists of the spaces where your puppy eats, sleeps, plays and spends time with you. Everything else is considred a 'non‐living" area and fair game to eliminate in.

When at home, restrict your dog's access to any part of the house
if you aren’t able to keep an eye on your dog. Use baby gates, closed
doors or a leash, tethering your puppy to you, to make sure your dog doesn’t have the opportunity to sneak off to other areas to eliminate.

Keep your dog on a regular schedule and your dog outside immediately after:

1) Waking up (including naps)
2) After eating
3) After a play session
other times, your puppy should either be under direct
supervision or confined.

For puppies who are already having a lot of accidents, set a timer (kitchen or oven timers work great!) to remind yourself to take your dog out every hour to try and get back on schedule. Once you have
been accident free for two weeks, try the schedule above.

If you are going to follow the schedule above, use this opportunity to put eliminating on cue.

Take your dog out (preferably on‐leash) and give your dog a cue. I've used "Go Potty!" "Do your business!" "Hurry up!" "Empty your tank!" Pick whatever you feel comfortable saying in front of a large crowd. big grin

• Say the cue just once, then say nothing unless until your puppy eliminates.

• Stand completely still. Remember, this is not a play session, this is serious business. No playing or walking until your dog eliminates.

• If your puppy doesn’t go within 5 minutes, return inside with your dog until the next hour.

• If your dog does eliminate go, praise and reward with a good
treat. Not just any old dry biscuitt! Bring out the good stuff, like cheese, chicken breast, etc.

Please don’t just throw the dog outside and close the door expecting them to know what to do. Make sure you go outside with your dog until they show you that they have the idea!

I hope this helps!

--Mary
[notify]
Taz

Playful Pup

Barked: Sat Oct 25, '08 10:26am PST 
I taught Taz to ring a bell that I have hanging on our sliding door. I just put the bell on the door (jingle bell tied with ribbon to the door handle) long enough that he could reach and I took his paw and had him ring the bell then took him right out on a leash. Stand in one spot and wait for him to go potty. If he didn't go after 10 - 15 minutes, he would come in and go in his crate. I would anly put him in for a few minutes then took him right back out to the same spot. If he went, he got free run of the house, but if he didn't he would go back in the crate for a few minutes and we would do it again until he went potty. Just remember that if you use the bell you HAVE to take him out every time he rings it!
[notify]