GO!

plaque on my teeth

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Poochini

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 12:03am PST 
i have tartar and plaque in my teeth, mom said to go to the vet to clean my teeth but I'm too aggressive and the vet said that they have to sedate me... is it ok? said they have to make a blood test before they do, makes me think that it has said effects.. ??? do I just leave my teeth alone?
[notify]
Titus

I'm Just Little- On The OUTSIDE!

Barked: Thu May 15, '08 11:17pm PST 
They are probably doing a blood test just to make sure you are healthy enough to tolerate the sedation. Do you have any good chew bones at home? Those usually help clean the teeth up really well.
[notify]
Rose

Pug Fu Master!!

Barked: Fri May 16, '08 10:11am PST 
Yep, we all agree with Titus! We started chewing bully sticks and deer antlers and our teeth are much better than they were before.
[notify]

Tubby

Multo en Parvo-A- lot in a little!

Barked: Fri May 23, '08 9:48am PST 
If the plaque is bad then his teeth probably must be cleaned. Plaque can cause heart problems. Bones are good but you really need to brush his teeth. I brush my dogs teeth every day. They get used to it. My vet is amazed by thier teeth. There is also a great prodcut Petz life oral gel that you can brush with that can help bad plaque
[notify]
Amazing- Gracie

Proof that God- has a sense of- humor

Barked: Thu Jul 10, '08 8:29am PST 
We thought all teeth cleaning happened under sedation.
[notify]
Lady Sophie- of the Great- Hunt

The Baby!

Barked: Thu Jul 10, '08 9:33pm PST 
Needles are nasty but really bad teeth can be deadly. My mother had an older mini dachshund with bad teeth that started a hidden infection in his jaw bone that totally eroded the bone and he had to be put down.
[notify]
Promise

Everything is- mine. You just- live here.

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 5:42pm PST 
You should try enzymatic toothpaste. We use Petrodex... in poultry flavor. Our two, Promise and Charlie, don't LOVE it... but in the chicken flavor they don't mind it too much. Also, with the enzymatic, you don't have to brush the teeth real hard (once the toothpaste makes contact with the teeth, the enzymes get to work breaking down plaque and tartar). As for the sedation - I hate to see anybody, person or animal being sedated for anything other than surgery or medical necessity. Sedation is dangerous, there are no two ways about it. I suggest finding a groomer who is patient, and works well with your dog. Promise wouldn't let anybody do her nails, and I searched high and low and finally found The Groomery near Cincinnati, Ohio and low and behold... Wendy, the only person she will let touch her feet! If the teeth are too covered in plaque, the vet may be the only choice, but I'd try and find a good groomer first.

P.S. The others are right though - plaque can eventually turn into an infection like gingivitis in people and can get into the bloodstream and reak havoc. Please, make sure to consult a vet on this before doing anything or waiting.

Edited by author Wed Sep 10, '08 5:44pm PST

[notify]