GO!

Love My Pug but....

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Bo the Pug

Livin' the Pug- Dream

Barked: Fri Jun 20, '08 9:34pm PST 
Pugs are some of the smartest dogs, the problem is they know it. My pug has learned to sit, stay, come, lay down, speak, and "up and twirl" -stand on his back legs and twirl around and around. My husband has also trained him to lay down, then my husband will set a treat right infront of Bo's nose and leave it. Bo won't touch the cookie until my husband tells him its ok. So, teaching your stubborn pug to sit and stay is possible. When we teach him something new, we wait until he does it naturally on his own. That is how we taught him to sit. For about a week whenever he would sit, we would tell him sit, good boy and give him a cookie (or two!). Then we would begin trying to coax him to sit while saying "sit". The trick with pugs is to train them without them knowing it and to use LOTS of treats!
[notify]
Lila

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 6:32pm PST 
I have 2 pugs and I've done clicker training with them to get them to learn their commands...used cheap old cheerios as a treat. Outside we are working on a whistle to get them to come, also using cheerios as a treat. There's lots of info online...
[notify]
Mayco

A little dumb,- but a lotta- cute!

Barked: Sat Nov 22, '08 9:50am PST 
I agree with Lila, my mommy also uses the clicker and I always know what that means!

I'm also a huge, huge supporter of british trainer Victoria Stillwell. She has a show on Animal Planet called "It's Me or the Dog." I have learned everything I know from watching her train even the most distractable and aggressive dogs to a T! Everyone should check it out when they have time, or DVR/Tivo it!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2