GO!

Love My Pug but....

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lily

I snort, I- snore, and I- love my Mommy!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '08 9:09pm PST 
Hi

My pug is really smart, however she refuses to learn tricks, and she is so lovey and out of control she tends to loose interest in any training. Even things as easy as "sit"snoopy

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marie
[notify]
Amazing- Gracie

Proof that God- has a sense of- humor

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 9:35pm PST 
I didn't know pugs could do tricks, but they sure do cuddle good.smile They also give great "pupppy-kisses" on command.
[notify]
Monster

justice for- MOOIE!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '08 11:24pm PST 
Hey, sure, pugs can do tricks! Me and my sister do! I was also the top scoring dog in my obedience class! Class is fun, and can show your hoomans how to work with you!

Woof!

snoopycheerdancingway to go
[notify]

Penne (Lady- Penelope)

Your sure Im not- a great Dane?

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '08 3:10am PST 
Sure you can do tricks, the best way is Repetitiveness and treats.. the hard part is getting us to do it without the treats. Once its learnt its not easy to get us to stop. No matter what command mum gives the first thing I do is lie down... Im getting better though... I finally got the hang of stay! Now that was a task!!
[notify]
Salvador

Great Googlie- Mooglie!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 2:42pm PST 
Yeah, pugs are a very very smart breed. Class seems to do wonders for them. All that attention they eat it up. My Salvador has learned shake, sit, stay (he refuses roll over), leave it and drop it (which comes in handy when they get ahold of floor junk!

He has also learned that when he gets ahold of something he's not supposed to have to take it to his room and hide out while he plays with it!
[notify]
♥ - ZoEY

mama's luv- puggie!!

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '08 7:51am PST 
Zoeys mom writes

Zoey won't sit or do any tricks...
sometimes I can get her to stay
and she is smart...
she knows different things I tell her...but I give up ON TRICKSshrug
[notify]
Granpa

lazy gordo;- gordito- lindo;good ol'- granp

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '08 8:31pm PST 
Our "GranPa" did the same as a puppy, but we found out he would do anything as long as you gave him a treat. He learned all the tricks we taught him, sit, stay, stand, give me your left/right paw, even roll over. He does all these as long as you have a good treat. GranPa likes bacon (not the one we eat, but the one they have at most pet stores for dogs). This worked like a charm. Now GranPa is 13 years old and he still does all the tricks, except for roll over, he is getting to old for that one, but he does all the other ones. Pugs are super smart, but they also are stubborn and sometimes it takes a little longer to train them. They are no German Sheperds or Retrievers that learn quickly, but they do learn. You just need to be more patient. Hope this helps. puppy
[notify]
Porkus- (Pork)- Maximus Pig

Love the Pig,- Love the world.

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '08 7:59pm PST 
Treats and repetition are important. Practice each day and give lots of treats...lots of lots of treats!
[notify]
Titus

I'm Just Little- On The OUTSIDE!

Barked: Thu Apr 24, '08 10:13pm PST 
Keep your training sessions fun & short, 5-10 minutes to begin with, use plenty of treats, always play with a favorite toy or do something fun afterwards. You need to work with her everyday at least once or twice - only about 20 minutes out of your daily schedule!

Just some friendly advice on what's worked well for us wave
When I was a kid in 4-H, this is how I was taught to begin with training and my little Pug Sampson became the 4-H Nevada State obedience Champion!! happy dance
[notify]
Gaius Maximus

Supercutie

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '08 6:50pm PST 
I have the same problem with my little Gaius. One training method will work for a week and then doesn't. I've contacted many people in the pugapalooza group and here on forums, I've gotten a lot of good information and support. If I find anything that works I'll be sure to let you know.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2