GO!

Exercising Pugs

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Spencer

Hey! Hey! Pet- me! Love me!- Kiss me!

Barked: Thu May 17, '07 8:32pm PST 
We walk everyday for 30-45 mins. When he gets tired, he literally LAYS DOWN in the middle of the park. It's SO FUNNY! That's my cue that it's time to go!laugh out loud
[notify]
Emma

Emma the Bella- Principessa

Barked: Fri May 18, '07 1:43pm PST 
Emma loves her walks, she gets a couple of short ones (at potty time) as well as one long walk, usually about an hour, weather permitting. She's fine on even longer walks, up to three hours. We give her water quite often. When we get home she still has enough energy to play with the cat for a good 15 minutes and then takes a nap. We walk everywhere, we don't drive and don't even own a car. Emma's also in excellent shape and we figure this is the best way to keep her in good shape, and our vet agrees. Our vet suggests that we let Emma set the pace and as long as she's excited and energetic we can keep going. However, the heat and humidity is a concern - not too bad yet, but Ottawa gets really hot and humid in the summer, but we've had a few days that have been close to 30 C and we just walk her in the morning or late evening on those days.
[notify]
Titus

I'm Just Little- On The OUTSIDE!

Barked: Sun May 20, '07 11:34pm PST 
Hello all. Didn't see this suggestion anywhere- but I only have one contact in, so if it's a repeat no spankins please smile I have only lived in Nevada and Utah which are pretty arid , but HOT. My previous pugs and I usually walked anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours- with lots of water breaks and some rests for both of us. One thing that I use sometimes also is a little spray bottle - was in a canine corps and we walked in some parades and things- hot asphalt, hot sun for an hour or so, spray bottles saved the day! I've always had athletic pugs for some reason. My first pug was always trying to keep up with our afghan, and my current pug shadows our APBT mix. I guess in between they were just crazy smile Well, anywhoo, just an idea- I think yall are on the right track with the "just listen to your dog" theory, everyone knows their own baby! I never thought of a stroller- maybe I'll give it a try!
Snorts & Snuffles & Snaggletooth Smiles,

Leigh and Titus
[notify]

Fudge

The Puggy Mug- Next Door!

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '07 1:15pm PST 
Well, I have been pondering over this topic for a while as well. Right now I'm worried about Fudge's weight, he's now creeping into 24 pounds and right now, I walk him once every single day at around 5 or six, for about 30 to 45 minutes, after Fudge and I sit on the door steps watching the cars go by, it's very relaxing for me, and also let's Fudge take a breather! Like Pugsly over there, Fudge also likes walking and mine as well walk forever, but once he starts panting he starts to slow down. Anyways, after our walk, I like to give him just enough iced water. Fudge will usually just fall asleep after that!

Yer Pal,
Fudge!
[notify]
Jazzmyne

Instigator!

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '07 7:36pm PST 
I live on Pugadice here in Key West. I just moved into a lot bigger house and I run circles around the living area and den. I go on about 30 minute walks in 80-90 degree weather. I AM ALSO USED TO THE HEAT as I'm only 1 and lived my life here. I Love going to the dog park and chasing/instigating with the big dogs. I get tired after about 15 minutes of strong squeeky running. More importantly my back yard now turns into a mini dog park with the neighboorhood military dogs. We get acceptional vet care offered on base and Mom isn't freaking about dog park diseases ... anyways. I love just being chased in circles for a bit and I love the big doggers and I must add I love the playground slide!! If I get to hot mom holds me and gives me gold H2O and I get antsy and off I go again, I come in teh ac and sleep for hours but thats a pugs life!
[notify]
Granpa

lazy gordo;- gordito- lindo;good ol'- granp

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '07 5:12pm PST 
my daddy takes me out for a short walk every morning. according to my vet, pugs don't need to be walked too long because they get tired easily. he's right. i just walk half a block and i am so exhausted, but i do enjoy my walk every morning. even though i get so tired, it is the highlight of my day.snoopy
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2