GO!

Exercising Pugs

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pugsley

I Might Be Small- But I Have It- All!

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '07 2:03pm PST 
I also posted this in the group "Pugapalooza" but wanted some more opinions!

Well, now that it hasnt been raining and the weather has been nice I have been taking Pugsley for walks. The problem is after about a half hour he gets so tired and starts panting A LOT. I carry a thing I bought at a pet store that is a water bowl attached to a water bottle. I always stop and let him drink as much as he needs then we keep on going.

I want to walk for more then a half hour, maybe more like an hour. But I am so scared of over heating him and pushing him to hard. Do you think 45 minutes would be okay? If I just make sure he has plenty of water?

The weather has been about 70-75 degrees and its been nice out. Once it gets hotter i plan on walking him at night.

Also, Pugsley LOVES to walk and he never wants to stop, I just get so scared of walking for more then a half hour at a time!

I have also started dunking him in water before we leave for our walks!

For those of you who walk your pug how long are your walks?

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
Fig Newton

I am a Princess!

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '07 12:38pm PST 
Hi Pugsley! This is an interesting topic that I will be watching as well. Fig came to home in November, so we have never run into this problem (we live in NH, so it has been chilly here since Fig's homecoming). I have read that Pugs get overheated very easily and to provide lots of water in warm weather. Fig recently started panting while playing, I am sure she is not getting overheated because it is not that warm. Her breeder told me that she probably just discovered it (she looks soooo cute with her little tongue rolled up, panting away). Fig just recently started going on real walks, because she hates cold, wet, windy, etc. conditions. I have noticed that she, too, will walk forever, but seems to start panting like crazy and I give her water and it really doesn't relieve the panting. I know I didn't add much to the topic, but just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in wondering and to thank you for bringing this up.
[notify]
Buddy - 1999 to- 12/4/2009

I love my mommy.

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '07 6:50pm PST 
Let Pugsley be your guide to ending the walks. These little guys can't go as far or as long as a lot of breeds. My pugs can't go for very long either. In cooler weather, of course, you can go for a little longer, but these guys just weren't designed to go for the long haul. I have found 15 to 20 minutes to be tops.
[notify]

Boris

Mr. Boris asks - Throw the ball- NOW!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 9:41am PST 
Check with your vet and take into consideration the overall shape (is your pug overweight) and age of your pug. But, pugs can be VERY active dogs! Don't let us fool you that we can only be couch potatoes. We can walk for 45 minutes to an hour when we're in shape (we have to work up to it.) We can do agility, and flyball (a relay race with hurdles and tennis balls,) we can play fetch & frisbee. We can be active, in shape dogs and stay healthy along with you.
My mom does a slow jog walk and we keep right up. If I don't exercise on a regular basis that extra 2 lbs creeps right up.
[notify]
Pugsley

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 10:50pm PST 
Pugsley is VERY healthy. He is not over weight at all and also does agility. I Just tend to worry.. A LOT.
[notify]
♥ Princess ♥

Let me sleep for- another five- mintes.

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 11:31am PST 
I agree with Pugsley. Princess wants to keep that trim figure and loves to walk, but I worry about the panting. I thought about buying a carriage to pop her when she gets too tired. That way, the other dogs can keep walking and she can take a break. I just don't know if she would sit in it. She likes her walks.
[notify]
Fig Newton

I am a Princess!

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 7:51pm PST 
Fig is 8 mos old, not overweight, but maybe somewhat out of shape just because she is so paticular about in what conditions she will go outside. I take her for walks 2-3 times a day, for about 15 minutes. For the last couple of weeks we have been doing this daily because it has been so nice. Yesterday it was about 60 or so degrees and we went for a walk and about 10 minutes into the walk fig started panting heavily and had drool around her mouth. She wouldn't drink out of the dog water thingy I have. I was sooo nervous, so I picked her up and was running home when my neighbor drove by and obviously thought I was a lunatic so she stopped and gave us a ride. Her ears and nose were warm and she was still panting and drooling for about 20 minutes after we got home. I had given her an ice cube, which she did eat. I ended up taking her over to the vet's office and she was seen. The vet thought she was fine, but she most definately was NOT! I did not like the vet I had to see, he was not my regular vet. It was almost an hour before she was back to normal. We went out for two short walks today, but I was a nervous wreck. I want her to be able to enjoy the outdoors, but I am afraid she is going to get overheated and have serious consequences. She is in heat right now, do you think this could have something to do with it.
[notify]
Pugsley

Barked: Wed May 2, '07 12:09am PST 
Fig, i'm no expert but her being in heat might have something to do with it... I have heard that since they are in heat there is more strain on their body!

Did she ever do anything like this before?

Edited by author Wed May 2, '07 12:09am PST

[notify]
Fig Newton

I am a Princess!

Barked: Wed May 2, '07 3:56pm PST 
No, never, so I am hoping it is due to being in heat. The vet was awful (bad enough that I called my regular vet to complain). When I asked if her being in heat had something to do with her reaction, he said she was having NO reaction. I may be a crazy dog lady (and proud of it by the way) but I am also a nurse and more importantly fig's mommy. I know when something is not right. I always tell parents that they know their child and if they say something is not right I believe them. Maybe this vet just never took the bedside manners class! Thank you for your response, it makes me feel much better to hear that this may not be a permanent thing!
[notify]
Pugsley

Barked: Fri May 4, '07 11:59am PST 
Fig, you are right! She is YOUR baby and you know when something is wrong! I'm the same way with both of my dogs... the vet kept telling me nothing was wrong with Buddy... but 2 days later he ended up in the hospital! I sure hope Fig gets out of this heat soon, i'm sure its not fun for either of you!

BTW, yesterday I went and got a dog stroller for Pugsley! That way once he gets to tired i can keep walking with Buddy while he relaxes! Also, I get to take him more places in a stroller now! It's covered so they figure a baby is in there laugh out loud not only that, but most places around here let you bring the dog as long as they are in a purse carrier or stroller!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2