GO!

HELP!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Other posts by this user

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '07 7:19pm PST 
My name is Tia I am 5 1/2 months old. My mommy is with me 90% of the time. The problem is 60% of the time I go outside to do my jobs, and the other 40% I make a mistake on the floor (on a hard surface). When I have to go I don't tell them I have to go my mommy just has me ear marked. But my mommy and daddy are wondering if they are doing something wrong or approaching this wrong. I told them I would ask the great people and pals on Dogster for their advise... I want to be a good dog but I think I need help.
Can you HELP????

Hug from a PUG
Tia

Edited by author Mon Apr 9, '07 7:20pm PST

[notify]
Fig Newton

I am a Princess!

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '07 7:27pm PST 
Hi Tia! Pugs are notoriously hard to train, although I have heard from some very lucky people that their pug was trained in a day or two. Fig was like you, great most of the time with a few accidents here and there, but she never "told" me she had to go out. Then winter came--she would go outside and stand there and shiver, then come inside in do her business--100% of the time! I ended up getting her a dog litter box and she always uses it, with no accidents ever. She still goes for a couple of walks a day--when the weather is up to her high standards, but she doesn't have to go outside to go potty. The only problem we have is when we go visiting and she doesn't want to go potty outside. I know when she has to go because she runs around frantically looking for her litter box and I take her outside. She will go, but it takes a LONG time. I know I haven't been much help solving your problem, but I definately can sympathize with your situation! Good luck--most Pugs I know get house broken--eventually!
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '07 7:29pm PST 
Hi Fig!

Thank you for that info, did you just get a regular cat litter box and litter?

Tia's Mommy (Wendy)
[notify]

Levi

Cinnamon Roll

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '07 8:00pm PST 
hi , i know what you are going through , And dont worry it will pass . Almost evey baby Pug out there has a hard time with this . What I did with my Little guy when he was a pup was use the training pads , the scented kind . And I would use the spray to help him realize Outside was the place for going Potty . after that he began doing good , What actually created a bigger problem with training him was when I rewarded him with a treat once he came back into the house . that caused him to scratch at the door run outside for a second then come back in without doing his business . I am pretty sure he did that out of excitement , all he could think about was getting a treat and it caused him to not focus on the real reason to go outside . just be carful . Pugs dont want you to know there smart and they can be tricky . But theres something about the funny faces you fall in love with smile
[notify]
Fig Newton

I am a Princess!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 10:25am PST 
We use the Purina Second Nature dog litter and the box that goes with it.
[notify]
Lily

More food with- my *whine*- please

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 5:00pm PST 
Lily was 3 months old when we got her~ she trained in just 2 days and she uses the Purina dog box too....but we line it with newspaper and just toss it out right after she goes. It's less expensive, and besides Lily is the type that will eat the "litter" pellets.

It might be hard to believe but she has NEVER had an accident on the floor. I keep the box in the corner of the den. When she was younger and needed to use it more often, she was given total access anytime. Now that I can trust her, I keep the door closed and she has learned how to "tell" me when she needs to go (so I then open the door for her to do her business). It's good for them to develop the ability to control themselves by not going at free will anytime they please and to alert you of what they want.

This method isn't suited for every dog, but it works best for us....especially in bad weather. Lily and I both like to keep warm when there is 2 feet of snow outside at 6am. Many Pugs hate the rain and rather urinate on your new rug than get a few rain drops on their heads. Also, the box is convenient for traveling and pet friendly hotels.

Most importantly, make sure you place it in a spot where she can easily see it, and praise her with a treat each time she uses it.

Good luck!

Edited by author Tue Apr 10, '07 5:02pm PST

[notify]
Fig Newton

I am a Princess!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 6:38pm PST 
Lily, we have the same problem with chewing on the litter. I spoke to my vet about it and she said it wouldn't hurt Fig because it is just recycled paper, but it is kinda gross and it does concern me when she is playing with it. Do you chew your newspaper? Maybe that is something we should try here. Thanks for any advice you may have.
[notify]
Lily

More food with- my *whine*- please

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '07 6:48am PST 
Hi Fig....wave Lily is one of those Pugs who will eat just about anything and everything (especially if it's hazardous)....but for some reason she does not eat the newspaper lining the dog box! We have the medium size box so she can do her "poopy circle run".... and there were a few times when she was younger that she would playfully nip at the corners, but after I corrected her she has stopped doing that. I tried the litter at first, and it was a nightmare with her....seems like she thought it was her kibble and would not stop trying to gobble ALL of it. It worked out for the best because I am saving money with the newspaper and since it's tossed out immediately there aren't any lingering odors left behind.

My 14 month old Papillon is box trained too, and like Lily she got the hang of it in just 2-3 days. They wait their turn in the morning to use it depending on which one gets there first. While I don't think it's a good idea to let them go at free will forever, while they are still learning as puppies it saves them from creating bad habits and having accidents which linger on your expensive rugs or furniture. Like I said, once they get the hang of it, you can move the box (even outside or to a porch) or simply close the door to a selected room so they learn to alert you when they need to do their business. In that sense, it's no different than going in the yard...but this also depends on how much property you have. For instance, this way is more practical for someone with less available outside space as opposed to someone with an acre of grassy land who has no problem letting their dog run. My small yard is mainly cement and used for parking cars.... I also have a neighbor with a unfriendly big male dog.

Hope this helps....any other questions just ask!
[notify]
Xena

Xena Puggle:- Curtain Slayer!

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '07 9:53am PST 
Hi Tia!
You are still young and potty training may take some time. Mom trained me to ring a bell on the door when I need to go outside. It's basically a jingle bell on a string and it's tied to the door handle. She taught me by ringing the bell and saying "outside" whenever she brought me outside to potty. Then after a couple of days, she started grabbing my paw and making my paw hit the bell when she said outside. Soon I started hitting the bell on my own when I needed to go out! At first I would just ring the bell to play with it and hear it ring, and mommy made me go outside EVERY time I rang it...soon I understood and now I only ring it when I want to go out! Good luck with the potty training!
[notify]
Pugsley

I Might Be Small- But I Have It- All!

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '07 2:09pm PST 
Xena, that is a wonderful idea!

I think I was one of the lucky ones with Pugsley though, by the time he was 6 months he was almost potty trained with only have an accident every once in a while... he is now 11 months and has been fully potty trained since about 8 or 9 months.

I would take him outside every few hours and when he went I would tell him "good boy" and give him a treat! He caught on pretty fast and If I tell him "Do You Have To Go Potty" he'll jump down and go to the door if he has to... If he doesn't run to the door I know he doesn't have to!

But, I like Xena's idea and think I might try teach to Pugsley something like that!

Edited by author Wed Apr 11, '07 2:11pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2