GO!

Spaying - Nervous Mommy

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Saturn's- Starry Night- (2004-20

Sadie Sue, I- love yooooooou!!

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '07 9:56am PST 
We are taking Sadie to get spayed next month, and my husband and I are both scared about the entire ordeal. She's almost 3 and has no idea what's coming.

However, we are worried about the anethesia, because we have both heard that Pugs can have a reaction to some of them. And, we aren't sure if we want to bring her home the same day, or if we should leave her overnight.

Any advice on this would be helpful - and reassuring.

Thanks!
[notify]
Lily

More food with- my *whine*- please

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 8:22am PST 
Hi.....wave....it's natural to worry about our furbabies... but Sadie is still quite young yet, so she should be just fine. I'm assuming that she doesn't have any complicating medical conditions the vet should be aware of. My Lily was about 6 months old and she had no problems with the procedure at all...as soon as the pain med wore off, she was up acting fine (the pain med can make them "appear" worse than they are because it makes them sleepy and can sometimes cause a temporary loss in bladder control which happened with Lily). Much older dogs are spayed all the time and they come through it very well.

It might help to calm your nerves by asking your vet about his/her experience SPECIFICALLY regarding Pugs and anesthesia ahead of time...a knowledgeable vet takes the precautions needed by certain breeds and adjusts the medication type and dosage accordingly...still, I'm like you and would want to HEAR it straight from the vet's mouth beforehand.

Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!
[notify]
Fig Newton

I am a Princess!

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 10:31am PST 
OOHHH--good luck Sadie! I am getting spayed next week and Mommy is a nervous wreck!!!!! I am 7 months old and Mommy has been putting this off--even though she shouldn't! I asked my vet specifically about pugs, like the previous posted suggested. The vet said she leaves the intubation tube in a pugs mouth until the very last second to account for their impaired breathing, whereas in other dogs she tends to take it out somewhat earlier. Arrgggg--Mommy is sooooooo nervous! I wish there was a pill dogs could take instead of surgery, Mommy would give it to me religously!!!! Best of luck to you! Oh, by the way, my vet doesn't keep the pups overnight because it is not a 24 hour clinic and she feels that they are better off at home, where there is someone to watch them. I know other vets keep them overnight. I am not sure how I feel about her coming home that same day. I am going to do some research on the internet.
[notify]

Amira

I might be- small, but I'm- Alpha!

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 12:24pm PST 
I haven't been spayed yet but will be in a few more months. Mom was going to have it done this month but it turns out that we're moving from Alaska to Texas and she doesn't want me to have to fly so soon after surgery.

Loki was neutered right at 6 months and had no problems whatsoever. He recovered well from the anesthesia and had no issues while he was sedated. Mom even got to see his little testicles sitting on the surgical table since she worked at the vets office, BOL!

Mom's seen many, many Pugs go through the anesthesia for various surgeries and procedures and they've all done very well. The spay itself is invasive since it's a complete Ovario-Hysterectomy but most heal up very quickly and don't seem to mind much at all.

If the clinic your mom is taking you to has someone on staff at night to watch you then you should probably stay overnight...especially if your temperature is low after being sedated or other side effects occur. If there will be no one in the clinic overnight and they want to keep you, tell your mom to pitch a fit and bring you home!

Good luck with your surgery and tell your mom not to worry and that you'll do great!

Edited by author Sun Apr 1, '07 12:26pm PST

[notify]
Fig Newton

I am a Princess!

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '07 2:55pm PST 
OOHHH! To Texas from Alaska??? I bet you won't miss that snow. I HATE the snow (and the rain, the wind, or wet ground). I hate the snow soooo much that I have a doggie litter box in my house. Mommy made me go for a ride today with her and the meanie took me out in the rain! I shivered all the way to my friend's house and back! At least I got to see my buddy!
[notify]
Granpa

lazy gordo;- gordito- lindo;good ol'- granp

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 4:18pm PST 
there is nothing to worry about. i got neutered at the age of 10, and i thought, i am too old for this, but i came out just fine, and i am so much better now. I even have more energy to play more with my parents. smile
Spay/neuter is the best decision anyone can make for the puggy. laugh out loud
[notify]
Ralphie

Seepy Ham!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '07 9:23pm PST 
Ralphie was neutered at about 6months old. We picked him up that very same day the procedure was done.....I won't ever do that again!! If your Vet has a night person then I suggest to leave her there over night!! I know you will worry about her, but seeing our Ralphie so sleepy just broke our hearts frown!!! If you can avoid seeing her that way than that would be great for you!!
[notify]
Mandy

Kick butt!!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '07 7:00pm PST 
Please don't be so nervous. All of my brothers and sisters are spayed and neutered. Mommy does it at 5 months of age or as soon as she gets us if we are rescues. Mommy works at a vet and sees a lot of dogs that come in with health problems that were caused by not being altered. Mommy worries about anesthesia too, but the anesthesias used today are very safe and not one of us has had any complications. Our recovery time was very quick and it was better for us when she took us home the same day. Best of luck.
[notify]
Salvador

Great Googlie- Mooglie!

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 7:49pm PST 
I just got my Salvador neutered on Tuesday. He went in at about 8am and we picked him up at about 2pm. You would never know he had anything done. He was ready to play when we picked him up. He slept for the majority of that evening but otherwise he's been fine. same 'ol Salvador! snoopy
[notify]
Saturn's- Starry Night- (2004-20

Sadie Sue, I- love yooooooou!!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 10:21am PST 
Weellllll....

We did it! Last week, we took her in to be spayed... and she did wonderful... except about the part where she wanted to be stubborn and he had to give her a little extra anethesia...

She's doing wonderful, her scar is healing up nicely (thank you internal stitches) and she's a happier puggy!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2