GO!

question for Pug owners

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lily

More food with- my *whine*- please

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '07 10:26am PST 
Here's a question that's probably best answered by Pug owners. Was your Pug wild, anxious, and stubborn as a young pup?

Lily is 17 months old now and is quite a challenge to deal with. She's very smart, sweet, and we love her....but she has a strong mind of her own and is CONSTANTLY doing something that she shouldn't be. She is still rather young, so that is being taken into consideration. She understands many commands ( "sit", "stay" "shake hands" "come" "down", "go to bed"), but usually will only obey if there is food involved.

Lily LOVES to ride in the car and meet people.... and I enjoy taking her places to share the fun. But since I've been taking her out with me all last week, she has started carrying on if I go anywhere without her. It's to the point that if I leave for just 30 minutes, she will whine, howl, and dirty her crate. Seems like separation anxiety but she also has little "tantrums" whever she doesn't get what she wants, when she wants it as well. She housetrained very easily right from 3 months old and has never ever dirtied the floor.... nor will she dirty her crate as long as I am home. I know Pugs are known as "velcro" dogs who tend to follow around their owners, but this seems extreme and it's hard to deal with now. It breaks my heart to have to stop her car rides, but I don't know what choice is left.

I've had dogs all my life and haven't come across anything like this yet. But then again....I've never had a Pug before her. So is this "typical" Pug behavior for one so young? Something she will "probably" outgrow with peristent guidance? Or is this unusual for the breed?

I love my lil' stinker and just want to do what's best for her....shrug

Oh, and Furby....you look like the sweetest baby doll in that pink pearl necklace!

Edited by author Thu Mar 15, '07 10:35am PST

[notify]
Pugsley

I Might Be Small- But I Have It- All!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '07 11:25pm PST 
Pugsley just turned 10 months and hasn't calmed down a bit. Thats one of the reason i started Agility with him! Boy, I never thought i would see a pug run as fast as he does and doesn't get tired within a minute!!

Thats one thing that I try to tell people when they want a pug because "they are so laid back" I try and tell and let them know that they can still be crazy little ones!!

ETA: Pugsley will also only usually do a trick if he thinks he is getting a treat right after!

Edited by author Thu Mar 15, '07 11:25pm PST

[notify]
Xena

Xena Puggle:- Curtain Slayer!

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '07 5:56pm PST 
Well Xena is only half pug, but she definitely sounds like Lily! I've heard it generally takes about 3 years for pugs to calm down.
[notify]

Lily

More food with- my *whine*- please

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '07 6:25pm PST 
Rut roh....really you guys?! Handsome Pugsley~ you mean you're a naughty boy??? And oh geez.... I see Xena is a member of the "bad puggy club" too. So where are all these nice calm Puggies I see and hear about? Are they all old..... or slowing down from arthritis..... or overweight? :::sigh::: There must be some hope yet!..... I am praying for the day I can leave Lily safely out of her crate when I go out for 2 minutes..... and waiting for that miracle to come when she stops chomping on her sisters then giving me the "who me" head tilt routine when I catch her with someone else's fur and whiskers hanging out of her mouth......
eekeekeekeekeekeekeekeek

But seriously, it makes me feel better to hear that this behavior might be a normal phase our Pugs are going through.

Edited by author Fri Mar 16, '07 6:43pm PST

[notify]
Billy

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '07 9:01am PST 
Billy is only half pug and 2 years old but she is jsut as wild as she was when i first got her. Granted she sleeps a little more now its onyl for about 2 minutes at a time ( thats during the day). I've heard from numerous people that it takes 3-4 years for a pug to calm down. So for now I'm enjoying her craziness
[notify]
Billy

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '07 9:01am PST 
Whoa I love pugs!

Edited by author Wed Mar 21, '07 9:03am PST

[notify]
Fig Newton

I am a Princess!

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '07 6:11pm PST 
Figgy is almost 8 mos old and she is very good. She can get out of control, her main problem is digging (the couch, the pillows, the carpet, MOMMY!, etc) when she is excited. Once she starts it is almost impossible to get her to stop. I have been somewhat remiss as a Mommy because she is rather spoiled. When I took her to the vet when she came home at 3 mos old the vet told me that I had better be firm and consistent with her or she would take over the house. She certainly has done that. She is quite the drama queen. But, in saying all that, she is well behaved. She is not crate trained, she has free run of the house when we are not home and has never had a problem. She doesn't like to go outside when it is wet, windy, cold, etc. so she has a doggy litter box and has never had an accident since we got it. She sleeps with mommy and daddy at night and is very excited when she first gets into bed, but calms down relatively quickly and sleeps through the night and sometimes late the next morning. She is very difficult to direct though, once she has her mind set on doing something it is impossible to redirect her. I have never owned a small dog before and I love her like a child. She has such personality and spunk. I know this post hasn't been a lot of help, but I can sympathize with what you are going through. I have heard that pugs are VERY difficult to train and can be quite stubborn.
[notify]
Saturn's- Starry Night- (2004-20

Sadie Sue, I- love yooooooou!!

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '07 10:13am PST 
Oh the joy of the Pug! LoL - I have two sides to this topic... I'll start with my Pug sister, Prissy (she was my mom's pug). When we brought Prissy home, she was a tiny little thing with practically every Puggy health problem you can imagine - elongated soft palette, her nose needed to be clipped, and she was allergic to grass. And to top it off, she was a SPAZ! She wanted to play ALL the time, she would throw herself into an asthma attack if you left her for even just a few minutes, and ANYTHING was fair game if she was mad. Stubborn didn't even begin to describe her. She rarely listened (unless there were treats involved) and she had her own agenda - which included trying to escape the house and run around the block if it was time for my husband to go to work (he was the only one who could catch her).

My mom moved when Prissy was about 7 months old, and from what I heard, she only got worse with her stubborness and hard-headedness. Unfortunately, she was ran down by a drunk driver about a month after my mom moved.

Then there is Sadie - my almost 3 year old Pug. Sadie is on the total opposite end of the Pug spectrum. She was the runt of her litter, so she's had to learn how to 'fight' for her food and attention. She was the SHYEST Pug I had EVER seen. But I fell in love with her the moment she buried that cold, wet, little Pug nose into my neck. We brought her home and had her potty-trained within a week. Granted, there were a few accidents, but that was because she would forget she had to go potty (busy little girl)! Sadie is calm, quiet, and well-behaved. And for you Pug-parents, it may be hard to believe, but she even lets me bath her, clip and file her nails, and apply a coat of nail polish to them - without even batting an eyelash. Usually grooming time is her favorite time to nap. She rides in the car with us EVERYWHERE we go, unless we have to leave her with one of her uncles. And barking? Well, she does it on command, but for the most part the closest thing she'll do to a bark in the house is a soft 'boof' under her breath. She knows tricks (sit, stay, shake, high fives, fetch, speak, whisper, load up, and lay down) and unless she's having a particular stubborn day, she minds really well.

So, there IS hope for you Pug parents out there who think your little adolescents are out of control. Pugs are just plain stubborn! You give them an inch and they'll take a mile. My best advice to you is just to keep on loving them - because that's what they want from you the most... well, that and treats, toys, bones, and food!
[notify]
HARRY- WINSTON- QUALLS- DICHIARA

I LOVE TO BE A- BAD BOY

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '07 12:29pm PST 
To Lily,

I know exactly what your talking about and the only real answer to your question is that..............it's a pug and that's how they are.

My pug acts in similar ways and will retaliate if I leave him alone or not pay attention to him. He has to be next his mommy, normally at all times including the car.

Pugs are treated as children and the more us owners treat them as children, they will continue to act that way.

Be stern in correcting your pug's bad behavior and watch the Dog Whisperer for more helpful hints.

Best of luck!

Harry the Pug and his Mommy Jen
[notify]
Salvador

Great Googlie- Mooglie!

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '07 1:55pm PST 
Salvador is about 5months old. He has his moments when he will run around the apt. like a mad pug but he also has his calm moments where he will cuddle on the couch. and yes if he doesn't have attention there is usually something he will find that's off limits to him in order to get attention. Or he will potty on the carpet for attention.

As for training we started about 6 weeks ago with puppy obedience classes and he has responded quite well. Of, course somehow we managed to pick a time slot where he ended up being the only pup in class so i'm sure that did hurt. The only thing he struggled with was walking on a leash and that was quickly remedied with a snoot (gentle leader for pugs) I was amazed at the difference when it came time for our walks he was actually walking beside me instead of struggling to get ahead of me. Our training classes are centered around using treats as positive reinforcement so yes every action usually requires a treat we are coming to the point where we are to slowly stop giving treats so i'll have to keep you updated on how that works.
snoopy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3