GO!

Punishment

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 11:05am PST 
How can I punish my 11 week old Pom? He has got to where he will occasionally hump his toys or my arm and I think this behavior is unacceptable. I understand that it is him trying to show dominance & its noe sexual but I want him to learn that he is not the boss & he should not be doing this! Also he bites my a lot when playing & he bites so hard. I know he is just a puppy & will naturally do this but I wont him to stop biting me & when he gets older not do it. I want to know how I should punish him! My instant response would be to pop him and say NO! But I've heard that you should never spank your dog because it will make him act aggressively or be afraid of me & I don't want either of those thing! I don't want to feel like I'm abusing my puppy! Although all i do is a light pop one time. It's not like I beat him! I'd just like to know the most effective form of punishment for undesired behaviors. Any advice is wanted! Thanks!!! smile
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 2:44pm PST 
The best advice that I can give is to look for a training class that uses positive reinforcement methods. Your Pom will learn much more quickly if you teach him what you want him to do rather than trying to tell him no and not provide any information about what is a more appropriate behavior. Not to mention, your relationship will be much better when it's built on trust, not fear.

When he's biting, get up and ignore him until he calms down. Once he does, then you can resume play. Humping is a result of his hormones starting to appear. There's nothing wrong with him humping his toys. If you don't like it, then use that time to start to distract him from the action by engaging him in play. Keep working to reinforce behaviors that you find to be acceptable. Puppies aren't born knowing your house rules. You need to teach them how to become good citizens.
[notify]
Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Sat Jul 28, '12 7:03pm PST 
Bailey is right. The humping is natural dog behavior and I do not think you will ever eliminate it completely. Trying to distract is about all you can do right now. If you neuter him when he's older that may help to lessen the behavior but that's not a for sure thing either.

Please do not ever hit your puppy. Train with positive reinforcement, reward good behavior. As far as the biting goes the method Bailey suggested is good. You can also give a loud OUCH! when he bites and offer a toy or chew stick instead of your arm,finger or whatever he may be biting on. He needs to learn chewing on you is not acceptable behavior.
[notify]

Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 2:41pm PST 
Thanks so much for the advice! I will try and correct Ty from now on instead. And reward his good behavior. He is very smart so he should catch on pretty quickly. Thanks again!!
[notify]