GO!

Pom House Training

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 2:22pm PST 
Okay so I have recently got a Pomeranian puppy. He is my baby and I love him sooo much! He is just precious and smart and has a sweet personality. I have never had a Pomeranian or a dog in the house OR even a puppy! So I am very new to all of this. Iam trying my best to learn as I go and ask many questions and do tons of research. I have been debating on the best way to house train my baby, Ty. I started out with puppy pads. He would use them, but they didn't stop him from using it on the carpet! And now he has learned that he can use the pads not only as a place to potty, but also a bed and toy!! He will lay on the pad (discusting I know) and he will roll around on it and chew it up...I want to just get rid of them and maybe crate train him? I have a crate that he sleeps in. At first he would pee in there and once he pooped! But the past couple of weeks (after I cleans his crate VERY thoroughly) he has not had any accidents in there! I think he even enjoys his crate. I find him sometimes in there asleep with the door open! I guess my problem is, I hate having to get up with him during the night & go outside to potty, so I have been just setting him on puppy pad during night and he pees. I want to know if I should stop this completely & just suck it up & take him out (even if its like 3 in the morning) or what? I feel like having the puppy pads & taking him outside confises him since he still pees inside sometimes. Also, how often should I take him out. As I said he is about 11 weeks old and I know he cant hold his bladder long, but sometimes I think he may be just marking his territory IN the house! Because he will pee like quarter size spots and 5 mins later he will do it again! I dont want to have to take him out every 5 mins! So Pee pads or no pee peds...THAT is the question!! ANY friendly advice about this question or just any tips on pom puppies is VERY welcome!! dog walk
[notify]
Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 2:11pm PST 
First let me start by saying little Ty is adorable. I can see why you fell in love with him.

I have never house trained a Pom but have trained many dogs of various breeds over the years. JMO but you need to pick a method and stick with it. If you want to paper/pad train then do that. If you want to train for outside then do not use the pads. I think you already realized that it's very confusing for the little guy.

Crate training is a good method. Take him outside when he wakes up and after eating or playing and at regular intervals, and yes I know it will be a pain but even during the night if he needs to go. I promise this middle of the night thing will not last forever. When he is out of the crate you should not let him out of your sight. A lot of people will tie the dog to them with the leash so they cannot sneak off and potty. If you cannot watch him crate him.

When you take him out make sure he goes potty before there is any playing or running around. If he doesn't go right away allow five minutes or so and if he doesn't go take him in and crate him and try again in 15 minutes. When he does go praise him like crazy and even give a small treat if you want to.

If you are not doing it you need to treat the places he has gone with an odor eliminator. You can find these at pet stores and I'm sure Walmart carries them too. The one I use is called OUT! but there are a lot of other brands. If you'd like to go natural a mixture of white vinegar and water will work too.If you don't treat the spots he's soiled he will go back to the same spots and do it again.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Edited by author Thu Jul 26, '12 2:13pm PST

[notify]
Wicket

Did you say go?- I'm in!

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 5:14pm PST 
when he does go potty, say to him go potty, then raise him. He will learn to go potty when you tell him go potty.

Wicket learned very quickly, it only took a couple of weeks to house break him. I used the crate which made the training easier.
[notify]

Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 8:20am PST 
Thank you sooo much! This was very helpful! I had just taken him outside after he ate breakfast & he didn't go. (He always takes awhile to go after breakfast) So I put him in the crate for 15 mins and when I let him go back out he peed but no #2...so I put him back in crate :/ should I keep doing this until he does do #2? Also your baby is very cute too!! I think Iam about to throw away the remainder of his puppy pads so I wont be tempted to use them during the night :/ I realize it does just confuse him. But anyways thank you once again!!!
[notify]
Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 12:59pm PST 
Try to keep keep a consistent schedule and feed him at the same times every day. After a day or so you should see a pattern as to how long after he eats that he will go. It might be 15 minutes, 1/2 hour or maybe longer depends on the dog. Also if you are watching him closely he will probably give signals such as circling and/or sniffing around a lot. If you notice this get him out ASAP chances are he needs to go.

Glad I could be of help and that it seems to be working for you.
[notify]