GO!

grooming help?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Suzi

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 4:15pm PST 
I got my pom when she was full grown and she HATES being brushed! I've tried several different types of brushes and combs and also tried bribing her to stay still with treats.
she has some anxiety issues from her previous owner so she's very weary around new things.

She will let me lightly brush her chest but won't let me get her fluffy little legs or butt! She's not so much afraid of the brush as angry when it touches her legs and flails and bites at the brush.

Any tips on how to get her used to it? I already had to get a couple matts shaved out and it looks terrible so i dont want to have to go through that again!
[notify]
Kyah

I love- cheeeewwww!!

Barked: Sun Jul 15, '12 2:16pm PST 
Aww I wish I could help! My first pom Daisey, hated being brushed. She too would bite at the brush and growl the whole time. I had no choice but hold her and get get through it. She didn't flail around though so there was no risk of injury, the worst part was having to listen to her whine and growl the whole time. I hated seeing my baby so upset! Hopefully someone with some actual advice will chime in. Otherwise just hang in there. She will probably never like to be brushed but maybe she'll eventually calm down enough to let you get through it!
[notify]
Suzi

Barked: Sun Jul 15, '12 9:35pm PST 
Thanks for the response! Over the past few days i have been more determined to brush her butt so she has learned to kinda just let it happen with just a few growls. Hopefully she just gets used to it. Her previous owner gave me a very scary looking brush (as well as terrible products and an underweight dog with a tooth infection) that i'm not sure she used much. The slicker brush seems to get less of a reaction though!
[notify]

Suzi

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 10:50am PST 
Thanks for the response! Over the past few days i have been more determined to brush her butt so she has learned to kinda just let it happen with just a few growls. Hopefully she just gets used to it. Her previous owner gave me a very scary looking brush (as well as terrible products and an underweight dog with a tooth infection) that i'm not sure she used much. The slicker brush seems to get less of a reaction though!
[notify]
Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 2:08pm PST 
I have a new Pom puppy and he weighs 2 and a half pounds. He is about 11 weeks old and I have tried to give him at least 1 bath a week (sometimes 2 if he gets dirty) and I have also been trying to get him used to having his hair blown dry and brushing him right after. I have been told to brush him once a day but he HATES it! I feel like I'm abusing my poor baby because he whines and yelps when I try. I am trying to be as gentle as I can but it still seems to either hurt him or just scare him really badly. I have tried to give him treats through out the process so that mayeb he would enjoy it a little bit more. I don't think any dog/puppy like to be brushed but maybe they can at leat get used to it...*Fingers crossed*! Oh and also, does anyone have any advice on when I should start taking him to the groomer? I know I need to wait until he has had all his shots, but will I just be able to tell when his fur needs trimming? I am new at having a puppy and new at having a Pomeranian also. Any friendly advice is welcome! Thanks!! smile
[notify]
Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 2:35pm PST 
As someone who adopted a full grown Pom I can relate to everybody's issues with grooming. Toby hated to be brushed when I first got him. His former owners never took very good care of him. The only time he went to the groomers was when he was matted and filthy and they couldn't stand it anymore, so his grooming experiences were all bad. When I tried to brush him he not only growled at me he actually bit me a couple of times.

Just want to let you guys know there is hope. Toby now loves to be brushed but it took me months and months to get here. I started doing a little at a time, when I could see he was getting very stressed and he'd had enough I would stop and try again the next day. I've had him a year and a half and he's been good with the brush for awhile now but he just recently stopped being freaked by scissors. He'll let me trim his coat but is still not good about his feet. I manage to get one done at a time so they do get done but it takes four days to get there. I still don't dare to trim his nails he goes to the vet for that.
[notify]
Wicket

Did you say go?- I'm in!

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 5:20pm PST 
Try to find a pin brush, like the kind used to style wigs. you need a brush that doesn't have ball tipped bristles. Those get caught in the tangles & cause pulling. Also dampen their coats to keep from breaking the hairs.
[notify]
Suzi

Barked: Sat Jul 28, '12 6:57pm PST 
I've been diligently working with suzi now on being brushed and she still doesnt love it, but she lets me get everything but her pants area without a wiggle! I just brush her when she looks like she needs a fluffin. smile I found a treat after helps as well as a healthy dose of detangling spray to help from tugging.
[notify]
Coco

My heroine is- Coco Chanel. - She gets it.

Barked: Sat Jul 28, '12 7:58pm PST 
My pup Coco is now 4 months old, and she will jump up in my lap to be brushed or combed. At first, though, she hated it, and after bathing her if I tried to blow dry her, she would growl and cry and even tried to bite at the blow dryer. What solved this problem for me was after bathing her, I would cuddle her and stand in front of an oscillating fan combing her and feed her little treats. The big fan dried her quickly and with both of my hands free to cuddle her, it was much less traumatic and in fact she seems to think of me and the comb as a comfort, a "rescuer" from the big scary fan.

I also have an elderly Cavalier, and he has arthritis and is persnickety and cries and is so miserable that I can't take him to the groomer any more. Instead, I have the vet shave him down completely while he is under anesthesia getting his teeth cleaned. It's much easier on us both. smile

I am also curious when we are supposed to start taking them to the groomer. Coco is in the midst of her uglies right now, so it seems like it would be a big waste of money.
[notify]
Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 9:27am PST 
Suzi here's a couple of things a groomer told me to do with Toby.

If your dog is not good about brushing the butt tuck the dog under your arm with the head toward the back. Put your arm around the dog right in front of the back legs. Hold firmly just tight enough so the dog can't wriggle. It's a gentle enough hold that it tends not to upset them too much and you have good control over their movement not to mention there's no way they can nip you or the brush. I found this works great and still use it with Toby. He knows now he can't nip at me anymore so he sits when I start to brush his back end. Can't brush the back end when he's sitting on it.

The second thing was to groom with a collar on. Hold the collar at the back of the neck while you brush. This gives you some control and also they can't reach back and nip you.

I thank that groomer every time I brush Toby. Hope this helps you too.
[notify]