GO!

3 Faces of Pomeranian

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '12 12:56pm PST 
I was looking through some websites and came across an article that says there are three different faces of Pomeranians for instance. "Fox, Teddy Bear, and Baby Doll. I agree with the article.

Do you feel that there are 3 faces of Pomeranians?

This is the article where I got this from

You can get the throwback gene, where there are larger Pomeranians which are over 10 pounds(and not be overweight, and pure bred). Should Pomeranians have more than one size classifications? For instance like the poodle, which is Toy, Miniature, and Standard.

Just wanted to see how others feel about this.

Edited by author Sat Jul 7, '12 12:57pm PST

[notify]
Pidgeon

You can call me- Poof

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '12 9:19pm PST 
I've heard this. I looked into as well and as far as I can tell, Poms all genetically have the same face, but because of certain breeding, some may have shorter muzzles or eyes a little closer together. Some looking more fox like, some with smaller features and a flatter looking face. I don't care what the pom looks like, I love them all!

I do believe BYB use those terms to sell puppies at a higher price. Using teddy bear face often..

As for throwbacks, I don't think they occur enough for them to be considered a separate standard. The current standard I believe is 4-7 lbs. with 5-6 being the preference, and all poms are still considered poms if they are a little under or above the standard. =] I also asked this thinking they'd be considered one of their larger spitz cousins, but apparently not, lol.
[notify]
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '12 9:34pm PST 
I asked this on another site and they went crazy and went on to say my Pomeranian wasn't a Pom because he wasn't 7 pounds. I'm going to link it. Its really long. I was trying to explain that I know there is one standard but I have seen all three face types. I shouldn't even had argued back lol:

Link to the debate lol
[notify]

Pidgeon

You can call me- Poof

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '12 10:49pm PST 
Holy cow, why did it get so blown out of proportion!?
People are just plain ridiculous..
[notify]
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '12 11:33pm PST 
Its only two people on there who says he's not a Pomeranian. I shouldn't have argued back it had went way to far lol. I don't care if he's just "Pet Quality" , but I know he's Pure-Bred and not crap quality.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '12 11:27am PST 
Pomeranian IS already a size distinction within the German Spitz breed, so I don't think it should be split up even more. I guess I shouldn't call Nicky a Pomeranian since he *is* bigger than the height cutoff for the Pomeranian size. He is technically a Mittelspitz or Medium/Standard German Spitz. They are all German Spitzes, but size dictates what they are not unlike Poodles or Schnauzers. It's just that some are registered as separate breeds (Pomeranian, American Eskimo Dog, Keeshond) in certain countries. In other countries they are registered by their size (Zwerg/Klein/Mittel/GroƟ/Wolfspitz)

Edited by author Sun Jul 8, '12 11:33am PST

[notify]