GO!

Getting another dog (Pomeranian)?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 8:18pm PST 
I plan on getting another dog in the fall. My Pom is a year old. I going to get another Pomeranian, female. Should I get a puppy or an adult dog? He is a bit fear aggressive(a lot of barking) towards humans. He isn't aggressive towards other dogs even if they are barking and growling at him, he just sits there calm. He just sniffs them and keeps walking. He is friendly.
[notify]
Todd

Get to close and- I just might- kiss you

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 10:14pm PST 
I think an adult or a puppy would fit right in. Todd wasn't a little puppy when we adopted him and the other two took right to him. Do you plan on rescuing?
[notify]
Pidgeon

You can call me- Poof

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 10:23am PST 
Well you are on the right track! When I was bringing a dog home from the shelter, It didn't matter how much I wanted it, the overall decision was on my dog. If he got along with it, great! If not, I was afraid my home wasn't the place =[ If you go to look at poms, take Cam! Pick one out, find a neutral room with just the two of them and see how they act toward each other. A puppy [depending on age] if socialized well, will probably take great to Cam if he is as cool with other dogs as you say! Older dogs may be a little more harder to come over. But this is just experience, may be different for everybody! Good luck party
[notify]

Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 10:42am PST 
I'm not sure if I plan on rescuing yet. I know I want female because I was told introducing two males would be hard. I got Cam at 8 weeks. I think it may be hard to start all over. I might consider rescuing a nice little Pom who needs and home and is a good fit. I was considering getting a cat because I miss my cats. I raised a litter from birth and I gave 3 away and kept mom and 3 of her females, but had to give them away due to my mom. I don't think cats will work because he has never be introduced to a cat,but when he is looking out the window and cats walk by our yard he goes crazy trying to get them(scratching on the window,barking, and running).

These are the cats I raised the three I kept:
Their Mom

Whites

oreo

stripes

Edited by author Wed May 30, '12 10:55am PST

[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 11:40am PST 
Such pretty kitties! cloud 9 I miss having a cat around too, but I think I'm sticking with just Poms for awhile.

I think he'll probably be fine with an adult or a puppy since he's very social with other dogs. I second Pidgeon's advice of taking him with you to meet the new dog on neutral territory. I took Bailey along when I went to pick Saige up from the rescue. He ran right up to her and started initiating play. I think he thinks it was his idea that she came home with us, and I never had a problem with him accepting her into the family.
[notify]
Pidgeon

You can call me- Poof

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 9:58pm PST 
Actually, introducing two males would be better as a female will usually display a more dominant personality. If I can find where I read that, I'll link it. But I do find I like males better, lol.
[notify]
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 6:02pm PST 
Wow really so somebody mislead me. I will look more into that. I like males better too, because to me they are more affectionate.
[notify]
Pidgeon

You can call me- Poof

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '12 10:27am PST 
Ha, they also said males were more affectionate XD

AHH I found the link =]

http://www.pomeranian.org/girlorboy
[notify]
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '12 9:49pm PST 
Thanks for the information , its a lot of good stuff on that site. I think I'm going to get a male now, but its not only my decision. Whenever I find a puppy I like I will take Cam to see him/her.
[notify]
Pidgeon

You can call me- Poof

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '12 11:12pm PST 
Awesome!! If you follow through, I'm looking forward to pics party
Good luck!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2