GO!

Collapsing Trachea!!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kyah

I love- cheeeewwww!!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 11:39am PST 
There is a possiblity my baby has this defect frown If in fact defect is what you call it. She was doing this coughing thing that sounds as if she has a hairball and was trying to cough it up and kind of gag at the end. It never seems to bother her. If she was playing she'd go right on playing while coughing. Naturally, I took her to the vet, they say it could be either a collapsing trachea or simply allergies. The thing is after she was spayed and was wearing the cone (although not too tight) she seemed to have the coughing episodes more often like 2-4 times a day. Once the cone was removed she's only done it maybe twice in a week. I have also permanently removed her collar that was only for looks anyway since we use a harness. Now, I love my vet, I know he loves all pets and will do what's right by both of us but I'm either uneducated on this condition or he's making to light of it. Anyone have any experience with a collapsing trachea? Or any thoughts?? Maybe I'm just a worry wort.
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 3:40pm PST 
I think it's much much more likely that she was reverse sneezing (not the best of sources, but a decent explanation). I bet when she was doing this after her spay it was a result of irritation that resulted from the tube down her throat while she was in surgery.
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '12 12:32pm PST 
Poor Kyah frown When exactly does it occur for her? When she is being highly active? After she drinks? When she is outside? And how long does each coughing spell last? If it started happening shortly after her spay, Bailey is right and it is very likely that she has some tracheal irritation due to having the tube in her throat for the procedure.

There is a difference between coughing and reverse sneezing, though the two can be easy to confused. With reverse sneezing, the dog will kind of freeze up a bit and it will make inhaling/snorty type noises repeatedly. With coughing, there are different kinds- kennel cough gives off a dry hacking sound, tracheal collapse sounds kind of like a goose honk. Coughing from allergies can sound like either type. When the dogs are coughing though, typically they can still move around and it isn't as repetitive as the reverse sneezing is.

Kip started doing the goose honk/cough/gag thing several months ago pretty much after every time he drank water- he would drink, goose honk like twice, and then hack once. My vet said the same thing... it's either environmental allergies or he could have a mild case of collapsing trachea. However, it started happening to him and to a lesser degree his sister shortly after they were put under to have their retained puppy teeth extracted/Oogie's spay so there is likely a connection there even though the vet didn't point that out.

Regardless of if it's collapsing trachea or not, the things you are doing are good to prevent the condition from happening and/or getting worse. Walking with a harness is awesome. Also, elevating the water dish a bit so the pup doesn't have to bend it's head down so far to get water helps.

Other things that help are feeding your pup a good diet and providing fresh filtered water daily. One thing that I do also, though I don't know if it really helps, is supplementing my pup's food with knox plain gelatin powder- the gelatin is supposed to aid in the development of cartilage strength, and since the trachea is made of cartilage I just thought it might be a good idea. Some chihuahua breeders and german shepherd breeders recommend using it during teething to help the pup's ears (which are made of cartilage) come up, granted I don't know of any studies that prove or disconfirm it. Vitamin E and fish oil are also good to supplement with too.

Anyway, I would give it a bit of time... try not to freak out because it really could be something as simple as irritation from the tubing during spay. I know how you feel though... when Kip started doing it I freeeeeaked out and thought it was a death sentence!! However, I've done all of the things mentioned earlier and he's gotten much better than he was before- though he still does cough after drinking water sometimes. Even if you end up with a dog that does have collapsing trachea, most of the time it won't be severe (though it might get worse with age). Many dogs don't even need treatment if it is mild... if it is moderate, the vet will prescribe cough medicine. If it's pretty bad, they usually prescribe a sedative in addition to the cough medicine... and if it's severe, they may or may not recommend a surgery which has low success rates. Like I said though, don't worry yourself to death... just keep yourself in the moment and work on keeping your little fluff happy and healthy in the present. My guess is she will probably show some improvement as time goes on and her throat recovers from the tubing from the spay smile
[notify]

Kyah

I love- cheeeewwww!!

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 9:25am PST 
Thanks Moms! I feel a lot better after reading your posts. I should've mentioned that she's done this a little before her spay but it worsened after. It has gotten better (I assume from recovering from the tube) but she does still do the honk from time to time. I honestly can't tell if it's reverse sneezing, coughing, or the trachea collapsing. Especially after reading the page you posted, Bailey. It is like a honk / hack and she always finishes up with a gag-like sound. Also, like I said she doesn't let it bother her. If she was doing nothing when it starts she'll put her head low til she's done and walk away. If she's in the middle of playing she'll keep right on playing. Yes, she's done it after playing hard, after drinking, and sometimes out of nowhere. Like you said Kip & Oogie, we are gonna live in the now, monitor carefully, and hope she grows out of it! I just want my pookie to grow up happy and healthy! Thank you both again.
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 1:17pm PST 
I think most of the time true collapsing trachea occurs in older dogs, not so much puppies. Bailey did do the reverse sneeze a bit as a puppy (I have no clue if it was around the time of his neuter, I guess I was too freaked out at the time to pay attention to details like that). He's pretty much outgrown it now. I can't even remember the last time he did it. Hopefully, Kyah will be the same. I think it's natural for us to always assume the absolute worst thing is happening when it's rarely the case.
[notify]
Kodak

Barked: Fri May 25, '12 4:30pm PST 
My dog, who is just about to turn 4, has the collapsing trachea condition. It sounds like exactly what you're talking about. He only has a few episodes a year...maybe once every three months. Medication seems to help at this point. Hopefully your baby is okay!
[notify]
Tango

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 9:54pm PST 
Yes, I have a couple of poms who suffer with this coughing condition. My vet told me about childrens benadryl. He told me that if they continue to cough and seem to have a difficult time with it that I should give a small amount of children's denadryl in the am and at night. Now I have a pom who weighs 4 lbs soaking wet and one that weighs 10 lbs and everything in between. The little one only gets .2ml from the smallest syringe and my 7 lb one that has this as well gets .4ml each dosage. It seems I never have to give it more than 2 days if that. This has been working for us for 10+ years and seems to give them releif without any side effects.
[notify]
Biscuit

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 6:06am PST 
My poor Toy Pom started this hacking on Monday before Christmas 2013.It sounded like he had a hair ball and was trying to get it up .By Thursday Night I was tired and so was he ,so I took him to the ER Vet and they done x rays and at that time told me it was his heart .(Cardiomegal,some pulmonary edema,increased sternal contactis ).The Vet gave him a couple of shots and some meds and told me to follow up with my Vet in the am . The nest day I did just that and she told me that his heart and lungs were good and that it was his Trachea . She put him on Temaril-P 1/2 twice daily for 4 days ,then a 1/2 pill daily . However this pill is not working. It is sad when you spend over 300.00 and you have two Vets telling you something different and yet your baby is still not well. Calling his Vet here in just a few to see what if anything else they can give him ...
[notify]
Biscuit

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 11:04am PST 
Biscuit started hacking the Monday before Christmas Dec.23,2013 . I have never heard of Collapsing Trachea before ,so I was thinking maybe it was a hair ball. On Thursday Dec.26,2013 poor baby was tired and so was I so I took him to the ER Vet. They did X rays and came back with it was his heart and put him on med's and sent him home for me to follow up the next day with his Vet. Next day Dec.27,2013 I did take him to his Vet .She looked at his X rays and said his heart and lungs sounded fine ,that it was not his heart but a Collapsing Trachea. OMG I was scared to death ,I had no idea that little dogs suffer with this .Vet took him off the med's the ER Vet had put him on and put him on just one pill.A day or so goes by and my baby is not getting any better so I call the Vet .She puts him on the same med's the ER Vet had put him on in the first place and the pill she gave him .(Remember she said his heart and lung were fine ). Well I gave the med's a few days to work and as long as he had them he was doing ok ,but still was not getting better ,so I called the Vet again and they told me to bring him in. Sat Jan 11,2014 I take him back to the Vet ,but his Vet was not in the office ,so I saw another one and I Thank God that I did .She looked at his X rays and then came in to check him out and talk to me . She said he does have the Collapsing Trachea that is for sure ,but it is also his heart .I told her what both the ER Vet told me and the other Vet as well ,and she ask me if I had seen his X rays and I told her No that I had not . She let me see them and told me what I was looking at . This lady was a Saint I tell you to my baby . She checked him over really well talk to me so that I could understand and told me all of what to do for him .She put him on Heart med's and said that she hopes this will help him ,she said if they will ,you will see it pretty fast. She wants to see him again at the end of the week .I can already tell some difference ,just hope what I am seeing is not wishful ,and that he will be around a little while longer. I so love this little dog with all of my heart and if something bad happens to him ,my heart is going to be broken .. :-(
[notify]
cookie

Im a tuff cookie

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '14 7:15pm PST 
Hi i have a few poms with the collapsing trachea. They are on liquid hydrocodone and I swear by glycoflex 3 soft chews also I give one atarax and the others benedryl allergies seem to make it worse
[notify]