GO!

Pomeranians and the Leptospirosis vaccine

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Zeus

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 9:57pm PST 
Somehow I got onto Googling Leptospirosis. While doing my search I found quite a few websites where people were warning against giving toy breeds the Leptospirosis vaccine because of bad side effects, reactions and even death. Of course, reading that I got a bit freaked out and now I'm unsure.

So Pomeranian owners, at what age did your puppy have its vaccinations and did it include the Leptospirosis vaccine? If so, were there any problems? If your puppy didn't get the Leptospirosis vaccine, why?

I will of course speak to my vet about this, but after reading so many posts warning people not to give the Leptospirosis vaccine to small puppies (and these breeds aren't even as tiny as a Pomeranian puppy!) has me unsure what to do.

My first Pom had her injections at about 9 or 10 weeks old and the 2nd set 2 weeks later. At 12 weeks old she only weighed 2lbs 14oz (so just under 3lb). She was quite poorly after her vaccinations and developed a UTI frown. Now, I have no idea if her becoming poorly or the UTI had anything to do with her vaccinations and neither do I know 100% whether she had the Leptospirosis vaccine or not, because back then I didn't even know about it so didn't ask.

Edited by author Tue May 31, '11 10:03pm PST

[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 6:28am PST 
I know what you mean about freaking yourself out when you read. I researched a lot about lepto before taking zoe for her first shots. Generally I think they give it to puppies with their first set of shots. My vet was very nice & answered any questions I had about it. She said that I could do it if I wanted, but if it was up to her she would leave it out. I was relieved to hear her say that since I've read so much bad about it. They give great dane puppies the same amount they would give our little poms so it's no wonder it's deadly!!! I ended up not doing the lepto & Zoe was completely fine after her shots. She was a little sleepy but that might be because the vet gave her some medicam after her shot. She's doing great now & I'm glad I didn't go through with it. smile

Hope this helps!
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 9:43am PST 
There have been some nice threads in the health forum in the past couple of months about the Lepto vaccine. I'll see if I can dig them up for you later when I have more time.

Unless you live in an area with a high incidence of Leptospirosis and plan on being outdoors around ponds and other other places where your dog may contract it, I don't think it's worth the risk. The vaccine only protects against about half of the serovars, so it's possible that your dog could still contract the disease if he happens to come in contact with one that isn't covered.
[notify]

MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 3:11pm PST 
Here's a couple of threads:
lepto info
vaccine thread - a general thread on vaccines, but there's some lepto info in here.
Parasite map - good to see what's lurking in your area
wellness thread - a long thread, lepto starts on page 6
[notify]
Zeus

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 4:34pm PST 
Thank you both for your replies and the links way to go you've been a great help.

So I think I'm going to leave the lepto vaccine out... I just need to speak with my vet about it first, no doubt they'll look at me like I'm nuts and say it isn't possible, if so, I'll go elsewhere until someone can vaccinate without the lepto shot.
[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 11:46am PST 
My vet was very understanding about my concerns & said that she would've left it out anyways so maybe your vet would too! Personally I think it's too dangerous & not really worth it since it doesn't cover all the strains..
[notify]
Zeus

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 9:51am PST 
Edit: Sorry for the double post. When I originally submitted my reply the forum told me I didn't have authorization to perform that action or something confused

Edited by author Tue Jun 7, '11 9:54am PST

[notify]
Zeus

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 9:52am PST 
Your vet sounds great, Zoe and really understanding way to go

I have been in contact via email to my local vet (reception, not the actual vet) about this subject. I asked them if the first vaccinations included the Leptospirosis vaccine and if so whether I could request not to have it. I received a reply and this is what they said:
'1st vaccination does include the leptospirosis vaccine and we do strongly recommend having this as it is highly contagious and something that you can also catch.
It is a very safe vaccine to give.
Is there a reason why you did not want this vaccine?'

I have emailed back saying how I have read that this vaccination can cause a bad reaction etc etc (noting my dog is a toy breed) and I also asked again that if I decided against giving my puppy the Lepto vaccination would I be able to request not to have it. If they say no, I'll be going elsewhere.
[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 8:11am PST 
She is an excellent vet smile

& good idea about going somewhere else if they say you have to get it. I just don't think it's worth the risk. Especially not for little puppies.
[notify]