GO!

Carpet chewing and puppy tooth retention!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Beatrix

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 2:33pm PST 
Hello!

My 6 month old pom, Beatrix, recently started losing her puppy teeth, and seems to be retaining some of them (the most obvious is her bottom-right canine tooth). I'm planning on making a vet appointment, but is there any way I can help her ease these puppy teeth out myself? She has plenty of things to chew on, and we play tug-of-war often, but these puppy teeth seem to be hanging on tight! Is this a very common problem?

Also in the "chewing" category, lately she has been chewing up the carpet....at first she would find an edge (ex: by the kitchen and around the fireplace) and tear the edge up, scattering carpet fibers everywhere), and I covered the edges with heavy objects thinking it would deter her....but now she's ripping up the carpet from the middle! I find half-ripped-out carpet fibers in the middle of rooms, where she's obviously been laying there chewing on it. She must know it's bad because she NEVER does it while me or my boyfriend are watching her, she seems to only do it periodically at night (she's typically on the bed, but occasionally she'll leave for awhile. I assume she's going to the bathroom out her doggy door, but I guess not!) She has plenty of toys so I don't know why she finds the carpet so attractive! Has anyone else dealt with this? We are already probably going to face a hefty charge from the landlord upon moving out, and she keeps tearing more and more up! Are there any good chewing-deterrent sprays or powders that will keep her away?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 1:55pm PST 
All of my poms retained their canines. I waited till they were a year to have them removed hoping they would come out. I'm not sure how old Todd is since he is a rescue but he had 5 when I got him and is down to 3. Will be making an appointment for him soon.
As far as the carpet I don't know but would try to see about a spray.
[notify]