GO!

Open Fontanel

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 4:03pm PST 
Hello
I just bought a pom puppy, I took her to the vet and she said our puppy was healthy, but had an open fontanel on her skull. Should I worry? Will it close on its own? Is there anything I cann do to ensure she leads a happy healthy life?
Thanks
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 6:50pm PST 
I really don't know. Didn't your vet answer any of these questions? If not I would call him and ask him to explain more to you.
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 7:05am PST 
At the time I never really thought to ask a lot of questions about it. The vet said our puppy is still growing and is very small, around 1 pound. She said it may close on its own, but our puppy may be more suspectiable to head injurys/neruologic problems if it doesn't close. I told the breeder and the breeder contacted me the next day and wanted to know if I wanted to exchange my puppy for a puppy that was from one of her upcoming litters. I dont think I could just exchange a puppy. I dont consider it a game or piece of clothing that doesnt fit. I was hoping to hear others experiances who may also have had poms with an open fontanel.
[notify]

The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 10:47am PST 
i would try posting in the health forum, your post will get more notice and there are people who work at vets offices that are good at answering questions there.
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 11:51am PST 
Hi! I just Googled it for some more info. Here is the Wiki description which may be helpful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontanelle It sounds like to me that your dog *should* be just fine, but *may* develop problems depending on the severity of the spot and, if any, associated problems(hyrdrocephelus or epilepsy). I would be extra careful with the pup and keep close tabs with the vet. Hopefully it will close on its own in due time. I understand not being able to exchange your puppy. I'm not sure that I could do it eitherfrown GoodLuck and keep us updated!!!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 9:25pm PST 
An open font can be very common in very small dogs, that are usually smaller then the AKC standard. In most cases there is nothing to worry about. The biggest worry is when there is water on the brain. But, this is usually something that will affect the health of the puppy well before they are ready to go home. If your puppy seems to play, and be active just like any other puppy, I really would not worry. If your puppy seems to be awkward, have problems with balance or coordination, or seems to look off into space often, then there would be reason to have concerns. Your vet should have discussed this with you and set your mind at east. We had a poodle with an open font that lived to be 14. She never had any issues with it. She was just extra tiny. I hope all goes well. I am glad you kept her, she needs love and compassion. It was good of the breeder though to stand behind her dogs and offer you another. I know you don't want one, but some breeders are not caring and wouldn't have even made that offer, they would have simply ignored you.
[notify]