GO!

Can dogs hiccup?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 4:22am PST 
So this might just be me freaking myself out as a first time dog owner, but after Zoe eats she looks like she's having hiccups. At first I thought it was heaving like she wanted to throw up but then I saw her vomit later & the heaving was a lot different. The 'hiccups' don't last long. Maybe 5 minutes? It still worries me though, maybe because ive never been around dogs.
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 12:20pm PST 
Puppies do hiccup, a lot from what I remember. Perhaps she is a voracious eater and taking in a lot of air. Anywho, it's completely normal and shouldn't cause any problems.
[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 12:37pm PST 
Thank you!! I was getting worried about her.. she seems fine though smile she's sleeping a lot though.. like most of the day.. is this normal?
[notify]

Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 12:48pm PST 
Yup! Puppies sleep a lot, and it is crucial that they get their rest! It is fine to play with her, but don't overdo it. Also, read up on hypoglycemia just so you're familiar should you ever run into this problem!!
[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 2:28pm PST 
Ok thanks.. I've been reading so much before I got her thinking I was prepared for everything but I'm not at all!! Haha, I worry a lot but I think she's fine.. I'm just freaking myself out.. She doesn't seem interested in her food very much so I broke up some treats to see if that would help.. we'll see!
[notify]
Zeus

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 6:11pm PST 
Aww congrats on your new fur baby! My Pom puppy used to have hiccups too and it worried me also. It's also normal to sleep a lot, from your profile I make her out to be just 6 weeks old? so she is still very young so that's probably why (a little too young to leave mom in my opinion, but just take extra good care of her which I'm sure you will)... in a couple of weeks or more she'll probably be more energetic. I remember when I got my Pom at 8 weeks old she was quite quiet and slept a lot, then BAM at about 10 weeks old she was into everything hehe. Your pup is very cute smile

Edited by author Sat May 28, '11 6:18pm PST

[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 6:49pm PST 
I mentioned the hypo glycemia in your other thread. Loki would get hiccups all the time. Still does. Yes lots of sleep enjoy while you can cause them your basically into the terrible 2s. Everything will go in the mouth. Also she tiny she's not going to eat a lot and they usually double what you need to feed on dog food labels.
[notify]
Zoe

Gorilla Zoe

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 7:07pm PST 
Thanks for all the quick replies everyone! There really is a great group of people on here smile & yeah, she'll be 6 weeks on the 29th.. which I thought was a bit early to leave mom as well.. but I talked to my boyfriends mom (a vet tech) & she said she would be just fine. She ate dinner at about 9 & 20 minutes later she pottied outside smile she's doing great! She goes through little spurts of energy & it's just the cutest thing! I love her so much!
[notify]